• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

We will be ok……..

Man that just opened up my box of memories. That letter reminded me of when I was young just sitting on the front porch talking to my Great Grandfather. A Godly man, simple man, farmer, devoted husband and one hell of a grandfather!! I always enjoyed those talks. Sure do miss him!! Thanks for the letter brought a smile to my face and made my evening!!
He is a very Godly and wise man!

I also enjoyed and it’s encouraging when you see older folks than I am still working and sharing Christ with others. Alot of wisdom could be gleaned from him

Sherman burned Acworth to the ground except for the Methodist Church where the Mason’s met.
Cool note, thanks for sharing. Dude sounds like someone to be emulated. :thumb:

As a student of local history, though, I'd disagree with his assesment of what Sherman did in Acworth. There was no Methodist church in the town at the time. The Methodists didn't make it to Acworth until 20ish years after the war. Many of the houses in town were also left standing, in particular the house in which he headquartered for a few days before heading further south to Marietta. The general idea, though, is correct. Sherman did destory the overwhelming majority of the town.

Cool little story about it, though. The Lemon family (they owned the home Sherman stayed in) went around to all the people of the town and took all their money and valuables and buried them ahead of Sherman's arrival. After the town was destroyed the family went back out and dug up the money and valuables and used them to rebuild after the war.

Cool note, thanks for sharing. Dude sounds like someone to be emulated. :thumb:

As a student of local history, though, I'd disagree with his assesment of what Sherman did in Acworth. There was no Methodist church in the town at the time. The Methodists didn't make it to Acworth until 20ish years after the war. Many of the houses in town were also left standing, in particular the house in which he headquartered for a few days before heading further south to Marietta. The general idea, though, is correct. Sherman did destory the overwhelming majority of the town.

Cool little story about it, though. The Lemon family (they owned the home Sherman stayed in) went around to all the people of the town and took all their money and valuables and buried them ahead of Sherman's arrival. After the town was destroyed the family went back out and dug up the money and valuables and used them to rebuild after the war.
I dont know for sure Rom - i wasnt there. But i do know that He does not take the notes of history too lightly. These were notes and his “assessments” that were made from actual notes and testament from family that lived there. I have copies of some of the primitive maps showing the Census history for that time era, where about familys lived, etc. Some of them are cool, i am sure you have come across the same.
Thanks for the input in history.
My point is not to argue with anyone as to accuracy of history. My point was to share some words that were shared with me. Thats all.
My cousin spent a great deal of time researching our family history. He went to UAB and to USC that allowed him access to history record for research in our family. He took it back pretty far too.
Thanks for the input. The best things that come out of this so far is that we do have some connection with our kin folk and the areas we were raised, as far as fam.
The family unit is most important for the normalization of our social order.

I would treasure just being able to sit with your relative on the porch, each of us in an old rocking chair, and listen to him tell his story all day long. He knows what's going on in this thing we call "life", so he's way ahead of most of the folks in this wicked world. God bless you and your family..........

What a great attitude and letter! Have to keep spreading this theme to our younger generation, many of whom seem to be lost in the world. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom