• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Weapon Mounted Lights for EDC

Unitedfpt

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
63   0
Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts on having a weapon mounted light for your everyday pistol setup? Read an interesting article the other day about a light over night sights and has got me thinking. Turning to ODT for some input.

I keep lights on my AR's most of the time and on my night stand pistol so I can be 100% on what the threat is in my house. I don't run lights on my EDC because I'm rarely in total darkness and I do carry an EDC flashlight.

I've seen/trained both sides of it and seems both opinions (yes and no) have valid points. A light allows you to 100% identify your target and if it has a good hot spot then allows you to point shoot in close situations if the target is centered in the hot spot and so on......

Then there's the whole gives the bad guy a target, kills night vision and gives away your location and so on......

If I was still in LE on night watch I'd have a weapon mounted light for sure but as a civilian I haven't seen the need often enough to do so since I do have a flashlight on me.

All of my handguns have a Surefire XC-1. I also carry a flashlight. I suggest you attend some training with night fire and flashlight techniques. You will very quickly see the advantages of using a weapon mounted light. Especially when shooting from support side cover.

And yes, I check the lights daily for function & battery. I have 3 XC-1s (two A models and one B) and had one go bad. Surefire sent me a replacement switch and I have not had an issues since. I also like the Inforce APLc.

I highly recommend a WML on any weapon that you intend on using for defense, whether it be in the home or out in public. It is a definite advantage in several ways over a separate, handheld light, and can't even be compared to not having a light at all.

The Surefire XC-1 is a great little light, I run one on my off-duty carry.

Surefire XC1 is my goto.
1109182017a_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 1109180611_HDR.jpg
    1109180611_HDR.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 14
My home defense Shotgun, every AR I own (excluding my wife’s 22lr plinker), and every handgun I own (excluding revolvers and my 17L) have weapon mounted lights. So as I say this I am biased.

As stated above, there are pro’s and cons have both. It can be more bulky, however it is a great thing to have for PID in low light/no light, is a defensive and offensive tool as well. With a good holster (ie Gearcraft Holsters @billieco ) you can conceal it well, and with ease.

I’m not LE, or military nor have I been either. However I have trained with both, taken several courses, and try to be “tactically minded” when it comes to firearms usage in general. So a white light is always a good thing to have, because you never know when you’ll need it. Training will teach you how to use it properly, momentary is the school of thought these days, and to help you learn to manipulate it without having to try and find the switch.

No matter what they say, there is no such thing as too many lumens. I run X300u’s on all my guns (my wife likes the APLc) and will be upgrading to 1000 lumen models as the funds allow. White light output is the way to go!

Back
Top Bottom