• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Weapons carry on Army Corps land…

This was my question…. there seems to be a number of offices one could contact… and I think there is an ACofE office in the NW Metro area but wasn’t certain of who to contact locally…. thanks for providing more info on this.

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a map of their districts: COE Districts

It might take a little searching for the district commanders for the districts you want to get a permit, but it's a start. Unless the rules have changed in the past few years, you will need a permission letter for each district you plan to be on COE property.

Good thread, BTW. For a minute, it dawned on me my Mobile district permission letter has probably expired, but found it was still good. I'll be doing this again in a year, and I'd bet money the commander has changed since I got the first one ;)

Here is a map of their districts: COE Districts

It might take a little searching for the district commanders for the districts you want to get a permit, but it's a start. Unless the rules have changed in the past few years, you will need a permission letter for each district you plan to be on COE property.

Good thread, BTW. For a minute, it dawned on me my Mobile district permission letter has probably expired, but found it was still good. I'll be doing this again in a year, and I'd bet money the commander has changed since I got the first one ;)

I had seen something a couple years ago (it may have been from Georgia Carry) about the ACofE moving to align their policies with the state regarding carry on ACoE properties. I tried to follow up on the info but seems it has not yet come to fruition….much due to all this virus craziness and trying to obtain any information or direction by phone seems a difficult task.

Having input from others on this forum who are familiar with the process is invaluable. Thanks for the link to the map.

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slight hijack, is this also for NFS land that is not overlapped by state WMA land?

We never needed permission letters on such land, as long as it wasn't also USACOE property. A GWCL alone has been good enough, for a number of years, for any NFS or WMA land that was not also on USACOE land.

It is my understanding that NFS land only requires that a person follows the law of that particular state, so I presume that because a GWCL is no longer required, we now need nothing at all on NFS land, whether or not it is also a WMA. I am not 100% certain about that, though. Personally, I don't put any effort into researching that, because I do and will keep a GWCL for the commonly known benefits of doing so.

This is what my letter looked like. But I forget to copy BOTH SIDES of my Ga. Weapons Carry License, and they wrote back asking for another set of copies of both sides, so that delayed getting my permission letter by a month.

Also the "District Commander" changes regularly. Every year or two maybe?
As of the summer of 2021, there's a new one for the MOBILE district, which covers Lake Lanier and Alatoona: Colonel Jeremy Jiggs Chapman,

It's important to remember that there are two COE Districts in Georgia, and a letter from one commandant is no good on the lakes in the other districts.

Chattahoochee is Mobile, Savannah River chain is Savannah.

I've got letters from both.
I just checked the one for Lake Hartwell-- in the Savannah, GA district.
My permission letter was issued 9/2019 and is good for 5 years, assuming I keep my GWL valid or renew it.

Back
Top Bottom