• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Week Of Nov 30th - Dec 8th

Lineman73

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
0   0
Reaction score
Wednesday, December 2nd I shot a nice 6 point at 4:30 PM. The shot was about 100 yards with a Ruger M-77 Ultralight in .308 Winchester. The 150 grain Hornady SuPerformance SST bullet took out both lungs and the upper half of the heart. The chest cavity was turned to soup. The deer ran about 80 yards and died. Deer was 180 lbs field dressed. The antlers were not tall, but did have a 16 1/2" spread on heavy bases. A nice deer!!

Dec 7th, I took a 167 lb (field dressed) doe at 11:30 AM. I shot her at a range of 230 yards with my DPMS Panther Arms Oracle, equipped with a Stag Arms 6.8mm SPC upper receiver. The distance was verified by a laser range finder. The Hornady 120 grain SST bullet blew out both lungs and left a 1 1/2" exit wound, breaking 3 ribs on the way out. Hell of a shot for an AR-type rifle!! The exit wound left an excellent blood trail for tracking. The deer only made it 40 yards into heavy brush. My Arctic Cat 250 "Bambi Retriever" made short work of dragging her out and back to camp. And Bill Clinton said that there was no sporting use for an assault rifle!! Shows what that bag of foul hot air knows!!!

All in all, a great week of hunting with clear cool weather.

My 6 Point 4;30 PM Dec 2.JPG

167 Lb Doe Taken With 6.8 SPC AR.JPG

Last edited:
Nice deer. Better check your scale though. I think someone had one foot on the scale when you weighed that doe.

The doe in the photo is field dressed. There are no guts in the chest cavity or belly to hold it up, so it does appear to be a bit on the slim side. The scale is above the gambrel that we use to hang the deer. My leg isn't long enough to reach the scale with my foot while the deer is hanging!!! The scale has been calibrated and is within 1 pound of a state certified scale at a local processor.

Even if you don't believe the weight, no skin off my nose!! All I can say is that my lower back says that it was heavy loading it on my 4 wheeler. Next time I'm gonna force the deer, at gun point, to get on the 4 wheeler rack, THEN, I'm gonna shoot it!!! :cool::cool::cool:

The doe in the photo is field dressed. There are no guts in the chest cavity or belly to hold it up, so it does appear to be a bit on the slim side. The scale is above the gambrel that we use to hang the deer. My leg isn't long enough to reach the scale with my foot while the deer is hanging!!! The scale has been calibrated and is within 1 pound of a state certified scale at a local processor.

Even if you don't believe the weight, no skin off my nose!! All I can say is that my lower back says that it was heavy loading it on my 4 wheeler. Next time I'm gonna force the deer, at gun point, to get on the 4 wheeler rack, THEN, I'm gonna shoot it!!! :cool::cool::cool:
I'm just poking fun at ya. Congrats on two nice deer. I hunt in the mountains in Murray county and believe me I know what it's like to drag a big deer up and down mountains.

Back
Top Bottom