• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Weight loss Challenge started

Weight loss challenges are a scam. Its easy to lose weight at a fast rate when you are really fat. All sorts of tricks to drop lbs. Water weight is easy to lose. Doesnt mean you are burning fat. It would be better to do a body fat percentage challenge. Even then the odds are stacked well in favor of the heaviest person. Burning fat gets harder the closer to your goal you get. Motivation should just be to be in better shape. If you are the type that will only diet and exercise for a short time to win prizes then I bet after the challenge the weight comes back quickly.

Or maybe some of us needed a little motivation to start eating better and exercising more. Obviously, you are not over weight so you do not understand the struggle us that are have. I wasn't always fat, but life, career, kids, etc seem to have always come before what was best for myself. So, over a 20 year period, I am where I am now.

Instead of criticizing what this group is trying to do, be a bit more positive. Or as my mom always said, "if you don't have something good to say, shut the **** up"!

Rant over.

Or maybe some of us needed a little motivation to start eating better and exercising more. Obviously, you are not over weight so you do not understand the struggle us that are have. I wasn't always fat, but life, career, kids, etc seem to have always come before what was best for myself. So, over a 20 year period, I am where I am now.

Instead of criticizing what this group is trying to do, be a bit more positive. Or as my mom always said, "if you don't have something good to say, shut the **** up"!

Rant over.

I know a little something about it. Lost over 80 lbs in the past 14 months and have kept it off. Cut BF in more than half and increased muscle mass greatly. Motivation is fine. Whatever works. Its just a competion like this is horribly slanted in favor of the heaviest. The bigger you are the easier it is to drop weight in the beginning. A 400 lb individual carries a lot more than 10 lbs of water weight. At my heaviest it wasnt uncommon to swing 15 lbs in a day or two. And you always make your biggest drops in the beginning. Whatever blows your hair back though. Seems a silly bet the way its set up is all. If you want to do it properly you should decide on an accurate way to measure body fat percentage and track that. Or decide on a trainer that will use calipers to calculate (no Im not a trainer hawking services) and everyone use the same guy. Lots of tricks to win pre weigh in day. Whats to stop someone from short term fasting or running around in a garbage bag for a few days before weigh in? Doesnt accurately represent real weight loss or increased health.

I know a little something about it. Lost over 80 lbs in the past 14 months and have kept it off. Cut BF in more than half and increased muscle mass greatly. Motivation is fine. Whatever works. Its just a competion like this is horribly slanted in favor of the heaviest. The bigger you are the easier it is to drop weight in the beginning. A 400 lb individual carries a lot more than 10 lbs of water weight. At my heaviest it wasnt uncommon to swing 15 lbs in a day or two. And you always make your biggest drops in the beginning. Whatever blows your hair back though. Seems a silly bet the way its set up is all. If you want to do it properly you should decide on an accurate way to measure body fat percentage and track that. Or decide on a trainer that will use calipers to calculate (no Im not a trainer hawking services) and everyone use the same guy. Lots of tricks to win pre weigh in day. Whats to stop someone from short term fasting or running around in a garbage bag for a few days before weigh in? Doesnt accurately represent real weight loss or increased health.

I hear you about all these cheating bastards.... I'm worried one of them is planning to knee cap me Tanya Harding style so I can't keep working out.

Seriously tho, it's $100. If it was a big deal to me I wouldn't have put it up to lose. It's a friendly competition, why so serious?

This was done with 2 pools, one for most pounds one for highest %, you could choose which to be in or could enter both.

I am a firm believer the honesty and integrity of this group is much higher than the groups you may have been associated with.
The money means nothing to me, changing my lifestyle back to my pre-smoking days does. The only thing this challenge did for me is get me started and back into a routine that includes better eating and an exercise regiment.
If you read the original post everyone had the choice of most weight in pounds or percentage of body weight or both.

I hear you about all these cheating bastards.... I'm worried one of them is planning to knee cap me Tanya Harding style so I can't keep working out.

Seriously tho, it's $100. If it was a big deal to me I wouldn't have put it up to lose. It's a friendly competition, why so serious?

Youre right. Its a $100 friendly competition. Maybe I was a little serious when I should have looked at the positive instead. My bad. I hope a lot of folks get what they were looking for out of it. Might have been a little pissy when I made my original comment. Started doing the ketogenic diet a few days ago and adjusting to it has been messing with me.

Youre right. Its a $100 friendly competition. Maybe I was a little serious when I should have looked at the positive instead. My bad. I hope a lot of folks get what they were looking for out of it. Might have been a little pissy when I made my original comment. Started doing the ketogenic diet a few days ago and adjusting to it has been messing with me.

That keto is hell the first week to a month. I lost 25lbs over a month and a half. I'm switching back to carbs for the workouts I'm starting. I'm hoping that I can eat a little more variety if I keep my activity up.

Stick with it. Lots of salt and water with your food. I took Motrin before bed every night for the head ache when I woke up, it helped a lot the fist week.

Hope your able to adjust soon! The results will make it easier too.

That keto is hell the first week to a month. I lost 25lbs over a month and a half. I'm switching back to carbs for the workouts I'm starting. I'm hoping that I can eat a little more variety if I keep my activity up.

Stick with it. Lots of salt and water with your food. I took Motrin before bed every night for the head ache when I woke up, it helped a lot the fist week.

Hope your able to adjust soon! The results will make it easier too.
Went on a ketogenic diet for a month, the weight loss slowed when I started working carbs back into the diet but I felt much better. The lack of carbs, which convert to sugar and are stored in the muscle tissue, cause the muscles to lose most of their ability to retain water. This makes hydration more difficult. Dehydration causes the headaches. The loss of water in the muscles accounts for much of the early rapid weight loss, but the body does move to a greater metabolism of fat as well. The slowing of the weight loss when resuming carbs is the flip side of the muscles dumping water, they start to retain again, which is not a bad thing as it helps you stay hydrated.
Ran a really fast (for me) 5 miles this morning, don't think I could have performed at the level I did on the ketonic diet.

Back
Top Bottom