• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Welcome to Atlanta

I was born at Crawford W Long Hospital in Atlanta in 1950. Lived in Decatur not far from Emory and CDC for a long time. I used to ride the bus all over downtown Atlanta to see movies, most ending at night. Rialto, Lowes, in Buckhead, all over...even went to the Central Theater once or twice :0) to see the 60s version of skin flicks. Never had a problem, riding the bus, walking at night - nothing. I left in 1968 and didn't come back until 1976 when I mustered out and then I built in East Cobb on family land. Atlanta hasn't been 'safe' since 1973 when Maynard Jackson took office as mayor. Finally left that craphole metro area in 2002 when my whole family sold out in East Cobb and moved up to Pickens County. I just wish I'd done it sooner.. AFAIC, I didn't lose anything there and the only time I've been back is for an ODT trade/sell meetup...and then I'm strapped with my 45 and extra mags...
Interesting, I was born at Crawford Long in Atlanta in December, 1950. Grew up in Center Hill on North Center Hill Avenue, next to Rakestraws Store/Service Station. Went to Center Hill Elementary School. Living in Atlanta I remember the trolley lines and my mom taking me on the trolley to Sears and Roebuck and to Rich's. Atlanta was a good place to live then. We moved out in 1961 to Mableton where I lived until 1970 when I went into the Air Force. I retired to Douglasville in 1992. We have made a few trips back to the old home place. The house I grew up in had burned down and looks to have burned quite a while ago but was never rebuilt. Went to Maddox Park where we used to go swimming and saw too many drug deals going down. Checked and I didn't have enough ammo on me that day to hang around. The old Grove Theater is something else now and I think has been since the mid 1960s.

I've lost nothing I care to check on in Atlanta and probably won't be going back.

Interesting, I was born at Crawford Long in Atlanta in December, 1950. Grew up in Center Hill on North Center Hill Avenue, next to Rakestraws Store/Service Station. Went to Center Hill Elementary School. Living in Atlanta I remember the trolley lines and my mom taking me on the trolley to Sears and Roebuck and to Rich's. Atlanta was a good place to live then. We moved out in 1961 to Mableton where I lived until 1970 when I went into the Air Force. I retired to Douglasville in 1992. We have made a few trips back to the old home place. The house I grew up in had burned down and looks to have burned quite a while ago but was never rebuilt. Went to Maddox Park where we used to go swimming and saw too many drug deals going down. Checked and I didn't have enough ammo on me that day to hang around. The old Grove Theater is something else now and I think has been since the mid 1960s.

I've lost nothing I care to check on in Atlanta and probably won't be going back.
Born there in January that year......my dad was in the USAAF and then AF in 47....he'd been deployed basically since 1939 and then occupation in Frankfurt where my sister was born in 48. I was born in 50 when my parents moved back to CONUS and they sent him off to Korea.....Mom and us were with family in Marietta where most worked at the old Bell Bomber Plant (Now Lockheed/Martin - AF Plant #6) I really didn't get to see him as a child until I was three years old and I don't even remember that....Korea then to Enewetak for H-bomb tests. Mom had to write her Congressman to get him back home in the states. He'd spent so much of what was his career overseas it wasn't funny. He died in 71 while I was overseas serving...100% service connected disability....

Born there in January that year......my dad was in the USAAF and then AF in 47....he'd been deployed basically since 1939 and then occupation in Frankfurt where my sister was born in 48. I was born in 50 when my parents moved back to CONUS and they sent him off to Korea.....Mom and us were with family in Marietta where most worked at the old Bell Bomber Plant (Now Lockheed/Martin - AF Plant #6) I really didn't get to see him as a child until I was three years old and I don't even remember that....Korea then to Enewetak for H-bomb tests. Mom had to write her Congressman to get him back home in the states. He'd spent so much of what was his career overseas it wasn't funny. He died in 71 while I was overseas serving...100% service connected disability....
Funny how the service can do that to you. I was active for 23 years and I spent 15 of them over seas. The job I did didn't lend itself to well to being in the states.
When I was young Dad worked at Atlantic Steel (they tore it down and build Atlantic Station). He started as a water boy fresh out of the Army. He carried buckets of water and a dipper to the guys working on the rod mill and the ones dealing with the big furnace where they melted and poured the steel. He worked 46 years there and ended up as an Industrial Engineer. He was drafted and went to Japan right after the end of the war. His dad died while he was over there and they discharged him and sent him back home. I had an aunt who was in the WAC and worked on tanks who was stationed in Japan. Grandfather was SeaBee and helped build Clark Air Base, PI during/after World War II. He had pictures riding a bulldozer holding machine gun and him standing on top of Lilly Hill. I have pictures of me standing in the same spot in 1972. Funny how the service gets all in a family.

Funny how the service can do that to you. I was active for 23 years and I spent 15 of them over seas. The job I did didn't lend itself to well to being in the states.
When I was young Dad worked at Atlantic Steel (they tore it down and build Atlantic Station). He started as a water boy fresh out of the Army. He carried buckets of water and a dipper to the guys working on the rod mill and the ones dealing with the big furnace where they melted and poured the steel. He worked 46 years there and ended up as an Industrial Engineer. He was drafted and went to Japan right after the end of the war. His dad died while he was over there and they discharged him and sent him back home. I had an aunt who was in the WAC and worked on tanks who was stationed in Japan. Grandfather was SeaBee and helped build Clark Air Base, PI during/after World War II. He had pictures riding a bulldozer holding machine gun and him standing on top of Lilly Hill. I have pictures of me standing in the same spot in 1972. Funny how the service gets all in a family.
I did 8 years and 3 months from 68-76.....I did 6 years, 11 months overseas and they were about to send me on a COT to a remote in Turkey when I just said, "screw this - all you want me for is overseas (my specialty, too was mostly OCONUS) and I'm gonna make something of my life." I got out....worked just a bit to get my bearings and then got accepted to GT (North Avenue Trade School) and did it in 13 straight quarters.....best thing I ever did...

Back
Top Bottom