• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Well I drank the PSA juice... again

There are a couple threads about the differences over on M4C...even one from our very own @ASH556
0.60-.075 is optimal. when you shorten the barrel, sometimes its best to have the port opened to .080-.090 but then you start getting a little gas in the face when the BCG cycles and ejects the shell

thanks, I'll have to check that out . So PSA uses a gas block that is not adjustable or what makes it inferior to others?

thanks, I'll have to check that out . So PSA uses a gas block that is not adjustable or what makes it inferior to others?

its not the gas block/FSB...its the size of the drilled gas port that the gas block interfaces with on the barrel....some may call the barrels PSA gets from FN, overgassed...it should be precise to the TDP for a carbine length gas system and its not...on mid length, all bets are kinda off, however, there still is an industry spec, if you trust what companies like daniel defense and bravo company puts out.

its not the gas block/FSB...its the size of the drilled gas port that the gas block interfaces with on the barrel....some may call the barrels PSA gets from FN, overgassed...it should be precise to the TDP for a carbine length gas system and its not...on mid length, all bets are kinda off, however, there still is an industry spec, if you trust what companies like daniel defense and bravo company puts out.
This. Sorry I should have been more specific.

Ahhh...I had no idea. Thanks.

This. Sorry I should have been more specific.

No worries. Specifics at this point are over my head but I'm learning.

On a side note...they order I placed yesterday for some ammo w/free shipping has just shipped today! (Or ATLEAST I got a tracking number today). Wow! That was fast for PSA:-)

Are the PSA barrels made by FN stamped FN?
Any idea why they would oversize / over gas I cannot see any cost savings.

Never have seen a PSA barrel marked "FN"...the CHF marked ones are made by FN, and I'm pretty sure the chrome moly vanadium/chrome lined "premium" barrels are as well.

FN oversizes the gas port because they build the barrel to the spec PSA gives them...gas ports are intentionally oversized on commercially sold barrels due to the wide array of cartridges they're expected to cycle.

Never have seen a PSA barrel marked "FN"...the CHF marked ones are made by FN, and I'm pretty sure the chrome moly vanadium/chrome lined "premium" barrels are as well.

FN oversizes the gas port because they build the barrel to the spec PSA gives them...gas ports are intentionally oversized on commercially sold barrels due to the wide array of cartridges they're expected to cycle.

All are not made by FN I assume?
I understand overgassing for weaker loads essentially. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom