• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Weyerhaeuser sold lease out to Green Diamond

WLhunter

Wolf Icon
ODT Junkie!
62   0
Reaction score
Well Weyerhauser came in last couple weeks and cut timber that was still fairly young..got a letter today that said they sold rights to Green Diamond Recreational / Twin Creeks Timber leases out of NC..this lease is in Twiggs county. Anyone else had any dealings with this company? We seem to have through Turkey season and don't have to give up for the moment.

It sounds like Weyerhaeuser may be cutting losses. Through all of the Inland/Mead/Kraft/Temple/International Paper reorganizations, nothing really changed as far as permits went around NW GA and NE AL. I doubt you'll have any major problems. But I've been wrong before.

We have had this lease 5 years and the results of hard work and food plots are showing now. Hopefully it all works out but some of them like to make you bid for it..dont think I want to deal with that again. Second time of selling was Plum Creek originally.

Weyerhauser sold 3/4th'of our lease. The remaining 1/4 has a big ass for sale sign on it. When it sold the 3/4, we got 10 days to remove stands,our camp shed and so on.

Contrary to what you may read else where. neither new owner was interested in leasing hunting rights. I guess the most good thing is that neither new owner is interested in hunting.

We talked to the real estate agent several times, and he confirmed that Weyhauser is actively divesting itself of all timber land to whoever will buy it. It has no interest in growing timber.

We have leased this land for 30+ years, with the same core group. I know that Weyerhauser can do what it wants, but that "core group" of old guys doesn't have many options. i say this modestly, but our core group can pay top dollar for a lease, we have all the equipment to manage it, but there just are not large tracts available to lease at any price.

I try not to be a pessimist, but i'm afraid I have to concur that within, 15 years, there will be few timber company tracts above I-20.

Weyerhauser looks at it from a business perspective. If the value of the land is worth more that the projected cash flow from the timber harvest then yes they will sell the land.

I saw it happen when I was in a hunting club in Greene County. We leased property from Georgia Pacific, who later sold to Plum Creek, who I believe recently sold to Weyerhauser. On some mornings we could hear the boats out on Lake Oconee. The property across the road from us was also a Plum Creek lease and was really close to the lake. During the real estate boom in the early/mid 2000's, they sold the property to developers and displaced a pretty big hunting club. It stinks but it's business.

It's all about the property taxes.

Mine are 5x higher than when I moved in 15 years ago. 5X!

Timber companies can't remain profitable with that kind of tax structure.

Back
Top Bottom