• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s your fitness standard?

Curious. Not trying to hijack thread or be a tool.

What type of shtf scenarios do you have in mind that will require you to run for your life and only take what you can carry with you ? Do you live in a rural area ?
OP doesn’t even mention SHTF in his post. Isn’t there a good need for fitness even if society stays stable? I think so. Go visit a nursing home and observe why most people are there.

My standards

1 mile run: 7:00
Carry 35 lbs for 12 miles under 3 hours
Deadlift 225 lbs 10 times or 405 once

I also have to do the ACFT twice a year. That’s a pretty good measure of fitness too.

Rep your body weight 5-10 times in squat, deadlift, and bench.

10 or so strict pull ups

5 mile run in under 40 mins

All pretty good measures

I'm not an aerobic fitness type of guy but I'd like to think a 400+ pound bench press can be useful somehow.

That said in a SHTF scenario I feel like it depends on your plan. Aerobic levels of fitness like being able to run a mile with a pack is probably fairly useful no matter what, but if you have a bug-in situation set up then the need for that level of fitness is lessened I suppose

I'm not an aerobic fitness type of guy but I'd like to think a 400+ pound bench press can be useful somehow.

That said in a SHTF scenario I feel like it depends on your plan. Aerobic levels of fitness like being able to run a mile with a pack is probably fairly useful no matter what, but if you have a bug-in situation set up then the need for that level of fitness is lessened I suppose

But with cardio its good for your overall health. The better cardio vascular fitness in youre in keeps illness at bay such as cancers, heart issues, stiffness/arthritus, respiratory issues, etc which I think in a SHFT scenario, doctors will be few and far between.

But with cardio its good for your overall health. The better cardio vascular fitness in youre in keeps illness at bay such as cancers, heart issues, stiffness/arthritus, respiratory issues, etc which I think in a SHFT scenario, doctors will be few and far between.
True that. A higher fitness level definitely helps to have a healthier body overall. All the guns in the world won't matter if you can't get off of your couch and go to the fridge without wheezing. Being fit isn't a cure all for many of the diseases you listed, but it sure as hell helps.

My standards

1 mile run: 7:00
Carry 35 lbs for 12 miles under 3 hours
Deadlift 225 lbs 10 times or 405 once

I also have to do the ACFT twice a year. That’s a pretty good measure of fitness too.

Rep your body weight 5-10 times in squat, deadlift, and bench.

10 or so strict pull ups

5 mile run in under 40 mins

All pretty good measures

My day's of running or doing a deadlift are over, but being able to carry 35lbs on my back for an extended period of time and distance is not an unrealistic goal for me. I do cardio 5 times a week, stationary bike and calisthenics, and weight training. I guess the key is starting now and not waiting until it's too late.

True that. A higher fitness level definitely helps to have a healthier body overall. All the guns in the world won't matter if you can't get off of your couch and go to the fridge without wheezing. Being fit isn't a cure all for many of the diseases you listed, but it sure as hell helps.

I wouldnt say cureall, more like preventative maintenance. Thats a good point for sure.

My day's of running or doing a deadlift are over, but being able to carry 35lbs on my back for an extended period of time and distance is not an unrealistic goal for me. I do cardio 5 times a week, stationary bike and calisthenics, and weight training. I guess the key is starting now and not waiting until it's too late.

Stationary bike and row machine!!! They both have different resistance settings too! I just recently got into rowing machines and they are awesome. Endurance workout that strengthens your back, arms, and soldiers. Put on some tunes and go brain dead for 45 mins.

Back
Top Bottom