• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s your go-to lightweight 10/22 stock?

For a little girl, a child, I think all wooden 10/22 stocks, either factory or aftermarket, are too heavy and too THICK.
They may be strong, but they're clumsy and fat and hard for small hands to grip properly.

I took a standard 10/22 birch stock and cut its length of pull down to 12" for a kid, a boy about 7 at the time, and
I had to really work a lot with a chisel, rasp, and then power sanding tool to get the stock thinner, especially in the wrist / dominant hand grip area. I wish somebody would make a factory-built stock of the proportions that my rather ugly homemade job had when I got done-- but with a nicer finish.

A cheap hollow plastic / polymer / synthetic stock is probably light enough.
If you can't find in a "youth model" size with a shorter buttstock (length of pull),
you might have to cut it down, fill the hollow cavity of the now-exposed inside of the butt
with some Great Foam (spray-in crack sealing foam that expands). You can glue a thin rubber butt plate on the back end to hide the ugly foam after it dries and you trim the excess.

I picked up the take Mica Bronze synthetic stock down version with the 16" threaded barrel, primarily for my boy's to learn to shoot on when they come of age. I think it's perfect the way it comes, kids grow so fast and she'll be growing into it before you know it.

I just pulled it out of storage & it feels like a kids gun/camper rifle. Just large enough to still get a cheek weld and light enough to carry all day without being a burden.

Back
Top Bottom