• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WHAT 400 DOLLARS GOT YOU IN 1979, WISH I PURCHASED MORE

Yep, Smiths were @ $200-300 and Colts Pythons were @ $400. A new AR 15 was @ $400. You could buy Ruger 10/22s and Marlin levers for under $100. 22 ammo was less than a penny a round. A new Corvette was @ $10,000 and a decent house was @ $50k. Minimum wage was @ $2.75, gas was @ .65. So the buying power today is less than half what it was then.

Nice rifle, and story sir. The middle rifle is a my inherited 700 ADL in 30-06 that my uncle purchased in the late 70s like yours was. It amazes me how nice the wood, gloss, and bluing is on these “entry level/ budget rifles” are. Especially when you look at the generic rifles that are produced today in this same price point.
NICE line up!

My father and I purchased this fun at Target in Wichita Falls Texas in 1979 for a hair over 400 dollars. This gun went through many a deer season and some coyote hunting in Oklahoma as well. It hasn't been shot much but it was hunted with. I believe guns can be hunted with and used and still maintain it's beautiful luster. I have been oiling this one down since 1979 about every 2 months just to make sure no rust settled in on the barrel. It still is beautiful as the day it was bought.
Screenshot_20220619-093758_Brave.jpg

Well we actually bought two guns that day. A Marlin 336TC for 235 and the Remy for 375. Since we were out of state we had to wait a certain amount of time. We lived in Oklahoma just across the state line. I can remember the day we picked them up. CHRISTMAS came early that year. We hit the range the day after. We didn't shoot them much because of " ammo prices " LOL. I think under 10 a box for 30-30 and 30-06. The good old days.

Dude brags about getting taken 50 years ago, geez
Wasn't bragging. Just showing what pricing was compared to now. Give me a freaking break. Now it's more than that and you don't even get wood stock. It could have been cheaper I don't remember exactly the price I just remember paying 225 or 235 for the 30-30 and the Remy was just a little bit over $100 more.

Back
Top Bottom