• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What are the laws when it comes to shooting in your own backyard

State law says you can't discharge a firearm with in 50 yards from a public road. And I can't remember the distance from another dwelling. Contrary to popular belief all or even most Leo don't know all the laws as written. Just bc an Leo says and act is legal does not make it so. You can easily look state law up on line and then any county ordnance. Dont take someones word, know for sure. If you are in the city limits it's against state law to discharge a firearm. If you find it is legal in your back yard make sure u have an appropriate back stop. Good luck! And shoot all you can afford.

I live in Hoschton - Jackson county - does anyone know about Jackson county any LEO? thanks

No restriction in Jackson county beyond state law, outside the cities/towns.

It's a hot issue as some of the subdivision people have been pushing for restrictive ordinances, but nothing so far.

Some subdivisions have restrictions buried in their restrictive covenants, so if that's a possibility you need to dig those up and read them. Especially in the mini-farm type subdivisions, marketed to the horsey crowd. Can't be spooking the horses don't you know.

There was a dust up a couple of years ago between some horsy people on in Barrow County right on the line, and a private shooting range in Jackson County

State law says you can't discharge a firearm with in 50 yards from a public road. And I can't remember the distance from another dwelling. Contrary to popular belief all or even most Leo don't know all the laws as written. Just bc an Leo says and act is legal does not make it so. You can easily look state law up on line and then any county ordnance. Dont take someones word, know for sure. If you are in the city limits it's against state law to discharge a firearm. If you find it is legal in your back yard make sure u have an appropriate back stop. Good luck! And shoot all you can afford.
Some cities/towns have no laws concerning this. For instance Villa Rica had no law against shooting inside city limits back in the 90s. We had a dove shoot in the corner of Bankhead and 61,across from the bank. Strip mall now.

Some cities/towns have no laws concerning this. For instance Villa Rica had no law against shooting inside city limits back in the 90s. We had a dove shoot in the corner of Bankhead and 61,across from the bank. Strip mall now.

It is against state law to dischare a firmearm with in 50 yard of a public road or inside any city limits, there are exceptiom such as shooting ranges, shooting perserves, etc. Your dove shoots may have been exempt or the local law may not of care or even be aware of the law banning shooting inside city limits. I know a LGS in the city that often shoots in the back lot and the locale LEO look the other way.

Back
Top Bottom