• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Are These Spots On My Gun?

MysticDiversions

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
These strange spots started appearing on the handle of the gun recently. They kind of disappear when I wipe them down with CLP oil. However, once the oil dried up, the spots resurface.

Any of you guys have any idea what it is? It is rust or just poor blued finishing? Most importantly how can I get rid of it? Thanks!

Picture:

i.imgur.com_U7Y8PmM.jpg

The blue may be getting thin in that area, especially since that is where the most handling is. Salts from the hand, etc., can affect the finish sometimes.

Hard to tell.

Doesnot look like rust from this pic.

Can you feel it with fingernail/tip of finger?

These strange spots started appearing on the handle of the gun recently. They kind of disappear when I wipe them down with CLP oil. However, once the oil dried up, the spots resurface.

Any of you guys have any idea what it is? It is rust or just poor blued finishing? Most importantly how can I get rid of it? Thanks!

Picture:

i.imgur.com_U7Y8PmM.jpg
Commonly called patina.

your gun is developing a patina/developing rust spots where it is being handled. if you don't want it to get worse just make sure to oil that part sometimes when not using the firearm or refinish it if you feel it needs to be done

Commonly called patina.
your gun is developing a patina/developing rust spots where it is being handled. if you don't want it to get worse just make sure to oil that part sometimes when not using the firearm or refinish it if you feel it needs to be done

Ahhh... patina. This is my first all metal handgun. I've only been carrying polymer handguns, therefore I kind of freaked out when these spots started appearing. Thanks guys.

if you don't lightly oil the surface some it'll look like this over time
IMG_0374.JPG

this is a fully functioning model 10 with the blueing wore down flat on the backstrap and the patina/rust spots where the finger is out on the side. A testament that a firearm has been used and not been safe queened (since 1979/1969 don't remember exactly in the model 10 case)

Back
Top Bottom