• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What are your thoughts on or experiences with, the Remington RM 380?

Stampede

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Just my rifle, my pony and me.
53   0
Reaction score
Thinking about one as a small carry pistol. What I've read said it's small & smooth so it's easy to conceal. Has an aluminum frame so it has some heft to shoot and handle well. The bad is mostly the long DA trigger (9+ lbs?) takes getting used to if you haven't had lots of experience with DA revolvers. Plus the sights are very basic - but adequate for it's purpose.

Is this better or worse than a Kahr 9mm/380 or S&W Bodyguard 380?

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

380.jpg

Never shot one of those. But I can weigh in on the S&W Bodyguard. The trigger pull on those make the things unshootable in my experience. I would never trust one for self defense as I kept getting the meat of my finger caught between the trigger and the 20 mile pull distance. Couldnt shoot the stupid thing half the time without trying twice. In this price range and pistol size I would go with a Ruger LCP or save up until I could go with a Glock 42. I wouldn't trust my life to anything else in the .380 family myself. (But I went SIG P365 and skipped all that drama)

I can’t speak for the guns you mentioned since I haven’t shot any of them. As far as .380’s go I have a LCP that I have carried for years with a couple of upgrades that is very reliable but not accurate past 20 or 25’ at least for me it isn’t. I also carry a Springfield 911. After the first 200 rounds through it it has become very reliable and is very accurate out to 75’ and that’s just where I stopped at. Trigger is also great on it.

But I can weigh in on the S&W Bodyguard. The trigger pull on those make the things unshootable in my experience. I would never trust one for self defense as I kept getting the meat of my finger caught between the trigger and the 20 mile pull distance.

If memory serves me right - I read the BG had a heaver pull than most others in this class.

Not in RM380/Bodyguard/LCP price range
but for .380 carry should consider the Sig
P238. Alloy frame provides more weight than
the poly micros which helps absorb micro's
recoil. Sig nite sights best of the minis.
Extended 7 rd mag and rubber grips provide
most grip & control esp for large hands.
Comfortable to practice at range, most poly
minis are not.
Others in same 1911 style as P238 are the
Springfield 911 mentioned earlier, Kimber,
Colt Mustang. Satisfaction w/function & quality
lasts much longer than sting of initial cost.

Another consideration is manufacturer's customer service.
If you should have a problem or issue w/your pistol would
you rather deal with Ruger, S&W, Sig..........or Remington?

Others in same 1911 style as P238 are the Springfield 911 mentioned earlier, Kimber, Colt Mustang. Satisfaction w/function & quality lasts much longer than sting of initial cost. Another consideration is manufacturer's customer service. If you should have a problem or issue w/your pistol would you rather deal with Ruger, S&W, Sig or Remington?

Valid point on the service side. Don't mind paying more - but am looking for something small. I'd prefer one that does not have a manual safety...which I think would rule out the 1911 styles.

They are supposedly decent little guns, but they are Remington and everything 'green' has a bad name right now.

I honestly would go for an LCP (I or II) if you want a small, easily concealed 380. If you want something with a decent trigger (bit still DA) check out the Kahrs. I'm not a fan of the Bodyguards though. A coworker had one and it was kind of a mess compared to my LCP.

They are supposedly decent little guns, but they are Remington and everything 'green' has a bad name right now.

I honestly would go for an LCP (I or II) if you want a small, easily concealed 380. If you want something with a decent trigger (bit still DA) check out the Kahrs. I'm not a fan of the Bodyguards though. A coworker had one and it was kind of a mess compared to my LCP.

Yeah I looked at them before - so I will have to check them out again to refresh my memory. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom