• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What caliber do you carry and why?

45. I shoot a single stack better than a double and they are easier to conceal. So, if I have fewer rounds in the gun, I want each to count more. 40 is a good round, but the only real advantage is if it's in a double. 9mm in anemic. You may have seen a vid in another thread of a cop shooting an x-boxer in the stomach and the guy just kept coming. Any bets the cop was shooting a 9mm? If it had been a 45 I believe it would have dropped him.

I don't use a revolver because, at close range, they are to easy to defeat. All you have to do is grab the cylinder and they can't fire.

I carry a Ruger LCP or a SA .45. It depends on the level of concealment. I know that the .380 does not have the stopping power of the the .45, duh, but there are times where the .45 isn't easy to conceal and I still want to have a weapon on me.

My wife and I carry 9mm....I can afford to practice with it which means I will shoot better under pressure. Bottom line is that a .45 will knock a guy off his feet, but if I can't afford to practice with it I won't be as accurate as I need to be. Also the modern hot rounds of 9mm have much more stopping power.

I carry a .45 acp in a 1911 platform 80% of the time, with a back up of .38 special in an unltralite frame on my ankle. The balance of the time my primary carry is a Springfield XD.45 Tactical and since my department requires me to carry a .357/.38, I sometimes carry a Mod. 13 or a Mod. 686. Never anything smaller than a .38 Special. My wife carries a Smith 39 with Golddots and a Ultralite .38 Special.

Luke

Back
Top Bottom