• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What caliber do you carry and why?

i always preferred the 45's recoil over 40 cal. to me the 40 is snappy and hurts my hands. i can shoot a 45 all day. more of a rolling recoil. thats why i like 9 or 45. nothing to do with a 40's potency.

Funny...I don't seem to mind the snap of a 45ACP. Guess I have been numbed by many years of magnum rounds. I'm not saying it doesn't have some kick...it just doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I enjoy shooting 45ACP revolvers on the rare occasions that I get to shoot them.

i always preferred the 45's recoil over 40 cal. to me the 40 is snappy and hurts my hands. i can shoot a 45 all day. more of a rolling recoil. thats why i like 9 or 45. nothing to do with a 40's potency.

Same here, Bear. That, and I standardized my ammo to .223 and .45 ACP. There's not that much difference in cost between .40 & .45. Out of all opinions I've seen here, I think the .40 S&W and 10mm are actually best for pistol PD. The drawback for me on 10mm is availability of weapons and ammo. You can find .40 anywhere, and it's cheap to reload. I've got an unlimited supply of .40 brass, and don't shoot it. I just prefer my 1911's and .45 ACP.

Last edited:
I can state that I do not want to be shot by any caliber out there. I used to play competitive paintball on the national level and bear scars from close range shots. If it hurts more than paintball I am game for never being shot in my life.

Thanks for the help monte. I have been looking around but I think double tap rounds look the best of what I could find that places have in stock. Right now I am loaded with BVAC rounds tipped with Montana gold hollow points pushing out around 1140 fps and 520 ft lbs out to 25 yards.

How do you like it?

I've been using their Gold Dot 9mm for range work but I've just started using it... they have great prices even w/ freight.

I think way to much is made of the 45 recoil. It is not unusual for new shooters that I introduce to hand guns to shoot a 45 well with only a few hours practice on smaller calibers. I work them up from 22 to 9mm to 40 to 45. After they have done this I will have a variety of handguns available for them to compare shooting side by side. They will be compact or even sub-compact because that's what most people want to use for carry. Sure there are some that just don't like anything bigger than the 9, but it is surprising how many small women can shoot the he77 out of a sub-compact 45 by the end of their first day training.

I'll never forget one woman I worked with. She had a very timid personality and was tiny. About five foot nothing and less than 100 pounds. She was sacred to death of guns and had never fired one before in her life. The only reason she wanted to learn was because she had a very scary experience. By the end of the day she was glued to my Kimber Ultra Eclipse. I explained about how a new shooter was better off with a DA only for their first carry gun, but she would have none of it. I made her promise to do a lot more practice with me while she waited for her carry permit if she was going to get a 1911. She did and she is now very capable with it. She never had a problem with the recoil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom