• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What caliber do you carry and why?

I think way to much is made of the 45 recoil. It is not unusual for new shooters that I introduce to hand guns to shoot a 45 well with only a few hours practice on smaller calibers. I work them up from 22 to 9mm to 40 to 45. After they have done this I will have a variety of handguns available for them to compare shooting side by side. They will be compact or even sub-compact because that's what most people want to use for carry. Sure there are some that just don't like anything bigger than the 9, but it is surprising how many small women can shoot the he77 out of a sub-compact 45 by the end of their first day training.

^^^^This X2, with the exception of the .40 (I don't own a .40)

I carry and shoot the .40 caliber ALOT! and it doesn't bother me one bit....I have had range session the exceed 500 rounds of .40 in a day with no ill effects...I love the 40 round and stock piled a few rounds of it at the house....Now I have 9mm, and 45 as well, but the 40 is the one I choose...to each his own, that is one point that this thread has proven...

I can state that I do not want to be shot by any caliber out there. I used to play competitive paintball on the national level and bear scars from close range shots. If it hurts more than paintball I am game for never being shot in my life.

Thanks for the help monte. I have been looking around but I think double tap rounds look the best of what I could find that places have in stock. Right now I am loaded with BVAC rounds tipped with Montana gold hollow points pushing out around 1140 fps and 520 ft lbs out to 25 yards.

Nice, I used to play D2 X-ball, when D2 meant you were GOOD, unlike now where they have what like 7 divisions or something. Anyways, 300FPS at point blank ( or as we call, getting " bunkered") hurts like hell, I still have scars on my back and arms from it. That's what I always think about when determining ballistics, if 300 fps paintballs will do what they do, what will a 1200FPS 9mmJHP do?

9mm is A-OK

I think way to much is made of the 45 recoil. It is not unusual for new shooters that I introduce to hand guns to shoot a 45 well with only a few hours practice on smaller calibers. I work them up from 22 to 9mm to 40 to 45. After they have done this I will have a variety of handguns available for them to compare shooting side by side. They will be compact or even sub-compact because that's what most people want to use for carry. Sure there are some that just don't like anything bigger than the 9, but it is surprising how many small women can shoot the he77 out of a sub-compact 45 by the end of their first day training.

I'll never forget one woman I worked with. She had a very timid personality and was tiny. About five foot nothing and less than 100 pounds. She was sacred to death of guns and had never fired one before in her life. The only reason she wanted to learn was because she had a very scary experience. By the end of the day she was glued to my Kimber Ultra Eclipse. I explained about how a new shooter was better off with a DA only for their first carry gun, but she would have none of it. I made her promise to do a lot more practice with me while she waited for her carry permit if she was going to get a 1911. She did and she is now very capable with it. She never had a problem with the recoil.

Weight of the weapon and construction material have to be considered, too. Polymer frame guns are going to be more "snappy" than all-steel, the same as titanium or light-weight vs. regular frame 38 snubbies.

The one thing that's not been mentioned in this discussion (I think) is felt recoil. A lot of people are turned off by the recoil of a .45 ACP. (you know, that opposite reaction of the energy they don't have) vs. lighter cartridges such as the 9mm, and if you're not up to it, it's far easier to limp-wrist and jam a .45 ACP than a 9. The reason I have my .45 24/7 compact (even though it has to be a piece of crap because it didn't cost over $800) is because the person I got it from didn't like the snap of it, and got a 9mm to replace it. As for as capacity, I'm satisfied with my 24 + 1 .45 ACP HP's.

Hey, don't misread what I'm saying... we all know they have energy but that energy is greatly more significant with rifles than pistols when it comes to how they are effective in killing or gravely wounding an animal or person.

As far as limp-wristing or stovepiping goes, other people may have different experiences, but if someones technique is bad I see it in all calibers, not one specifically.

As far as your pistol goes... does it go "bang" everytime you pull the trigger?

Does it fit your hand well and do you really like it?

Does it feed your preferred carry rounds well?

If it meets all the criteria that you require, who cares what anyone else thinks?

That is one of the only platforms that I've not spent any time with so I can't comment about it's suitability or lack thereof.
If it works for you, don't worry what anyone else thinks though somehow I don't think you do.
Plus in your case I've got to think that you have the best of both worlds... a high capacity pistol with a serious, proven caliber.

BTW, none of the Glocks that I shoot the most often cost me more than $400 because I always buy them slightly used.

Wouldn't mind a P-12, but my 1911's (3.5" and 5") are 8 rounders. My 3" 24/7 has a couple of 12 rd. mags. with adapters.

Do the mags have stops on them? I was doing rapid reloads with my Eclipse with full size 8 round mags (normally takes short 7 rounders) and snapped the ejector pin right off.

Back
Top Bottom