• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What caliber do you carry and why?

I'd stay away from the Montana Gold hollowpoints for carry ammo. They were never designed as self defense ammo and lack poor expansion through various mediums. I've seem some funky stuff when shooting them at various types of targets. My GLOCK 34 has seen I don't know how many thousands of them and loves them. They are very accurate bullets and popular with the competition arena. Just keep in mind what they were designed for when looking at a carry round.

Duly noted. I ordered them because the picture on CTD showed speer hollow points. I am thinking about going with some cor-bon self defense loads instead because of this screw up. Yet at 19$ a box of 50 for 10mm I might run the gamble again and just through in a box of cor-bon or Hornady XTP for carry. I guess I could just go to BVAC and order some from them directly and get the hollow point I want put on the rounds.

Thanks for the heads up NGC.

Can anyone find a reliable source for the average number of shots fired in a self defense situation? I've looked and can't find anything other than guesses and hearsay. You'd think the FBI would have the stat, but I can't find it on their web site.

I thought it was five.

Using the 9mm "more is better" theory, I think I've found the perfect carry piece:

i51.tinypic.com_166ywki.jpg

In theory, 30 hot .22 mag HP's would have to be better than 17 9mm and 13 .45's.

40 gr JHP 1,910 ft/s velocity 324 ft·lb energy

Wonder why the LEO's aren't carrying these 5.7's?

It's not just more is better, it's more of an effective enough round. The .22 Mag or 5.7 does not equal up to a quality 9/40/45/357 round. The .22 mag in a handgun concept is great for a trail gun for small game but not effective enough for people. Would I take it over a rock or stick? For sure. Would I take it over a 9/40/45? No

Duly noted. I ordered them because the picture on CTD showed speer hollow points. I am thinking about going with some cor-bon self defense loads instead because of this screw up. Yet at 19$ a box of 50 for 10mm I might run the gamble again and just through in a box of cor-bon or Hornady XTP for carry. I guess I could just go to BVAC and order some from them directly and get the hollow point I want put on the rounds.

Thanks for the heads up NGC.

No problem. They are one of the nicest shooting bullets when loaded right. Like I said, very accurate but not carry round.

It's not just more is better, it's more of an effective enough round. The .22 Mag or 5.7 does not equal up to a quality 9/40/45/357 round. The .22 mag in a handgun concept is great for a trail gun for small game but not effective enough for people. Would I take it over a rock or stick? For sure. Would I take it over a 9/40/45? No
My point exactly. That's why I choose a .45 ACP.

My point exactly. That's why I choose a .45 ACP.

How does it prove your point? The overall emphasis has been that with modern hollowpoints a 9/40/45/357 are on a roughly equal ground. Some rounds may be slightly more or less than others, but in the grand picture they are the effectively the same. The argument is that if the rounds are the same, why not carry more? You're argument for the .22 Magnum does not hold water as it is NOT on the same level of effectiveness.

I've said before, if a .45 makes you feel good go for it. I think we've all been trying to provide information for people to make an informed decision. If you are satisfied then so be it.

Just pick a caliber (based on the data and opinions presented thus far) and become proficient with the firearm you pick. I carry a 9mm for EDC (cost and availability decison) but have other calibers and firearm types that I go to depending on the situation. I use a .44 magnum revolver as my backup when I go hawg huntin' with a bow or when I am fishing in griz country.

Last edited:
How does it prove your point? The overall emphasis has been that with modern hollowpoints a 9/40/45/357 are on a roughly equal ground. Some rounds may be slightly more or less than others, but in the grand picture they are the effectively the same. The argument is that if the rounds are the same, why not carry more? You're argument for the .22 Magnum does not hold water as it is NOT on the same level of effectiveness.

I've said before, if a .45 makes you feel good go for it. I think we've all been trying to provide information for people to make an informed decision. If you are satisfied then so be it.

I just noticed your signature. That's a great line. I trained with Erik years ago and he does have a tendency to get right to the point. LOL

Your statements prove exactly my point. Capacity is not always all that. I, too, prefer a cartridge of higher caliber, specifically .45 ACP. I don't see the need to shoot hopped-up 9mm +p+ new wonder HP's to match the "energy absorbtion" effect of standard 230 gr. HP's. I've got some 240 gr. XTP's I could load hot for .45 ACP, but why do so? Since 9mm weapons are inherently lighter than heavier calibers, what is the felt recoil in these rds.? I keep reading cost effectiveness as a plus, but how does the latest technology hot-shot super-duper 9mm +p+ HP cost for 20 rds. compare to my 230 gr. 50 rd. boxes of W.P.D. thumpers? And don't forget, you have to have a weapon designed for the pressures those rds. generate. To each his own, I agree. Shoot what you're comfortable with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom