• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What caliber should I go with next for the AR platform?

I traded a bunch of 5.56 for a ton of soft point 6.8. He said he couldn't hunt with it because it completely ruined the front half of the deer. You can draw your own conclusion from that. Bad ass round that can blow the **** out of something.

if you reload IMHO the 6.8 is the way to go. it's expensive to shoot if you don't reload but if you think you might hunt with it, it's the way to go.

300 is good if you run a can, 556 for cheap shooting, 308 is nice for long range or hunting but can get heavy especially once you add optics. I love my 6.8. If I wanted to hunt with an AR15 platform it would be my go to rifle.
Everything is relative, but the 6.8 is not expensive compared to other hunting suitable calibers. Academy has a couple Hornady flavors on the shelf as well as the new American Eagle offering. A little shopping online can net a great deal in bulk with reasonable shipping. The American Eagle and S&B both got down to around $.50/rd a while back.

Thats cheating. Its gotta be built the old fashion way utilizing c products mags. :becky:
Are those the ugly crooked dick mags? The main reason I never wanted an AR in 7.62 or for that matter a Mini 30 was because of the mags. I prefer rifles ( and pistols) with plentiful mags from plenty of sources.

What are the mags like for 6.8 or can you use standard ar mags?
Contrary to some gun counter wisdom... the standard .223/5.56 AR mags do not reliably feed 6.8 rounds. The gold standard 6.8 mags are the PRI and the Barrett that offer a full 30 rd capacity. The C Products Defense (CPD) are popular and a good bit cheaper. I have run them with great success.

Are those the ugly crooked dick mags? The main reason I never wanted an AR in 7.62 or for that matter a Mini 30 was because of the mags. I prefer rifles ( and pistols) with plentiful mags from plenty of sources.
Lmao! There's a bunch of companies that make 7.62x39 ar mags. They all have the "crooked dick" look. Hahaha

Everything is relative, but the 6.8 is not expensive compared to other hunting suitable calibers. Academy has a couple Hornady flavors on the shelf as well as the new American Eagle offering. A little shopping online can net a great deal in bulk with reasonable shipping. The American Eagle and S&B both got down to around $.50/rd a while back.
for sure it's comparable to any other premium hunting round. Just a lot more expensive to blast off a 30 round magazine when you go out with friends. :) which you will want to do if you line up a bunch of pumpkins and other "expendables". but if you reload and save your brass, that's where it really shines. plus you can load to whatever spec you have in your rifle (there were some different specs for chambers over the years) so you can take advantage of the velocity if you want.

Back
Top Bottom