• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What did I do wrong?

We agree with RAMRODDOC, and also check the below also...

Look at the neck of the brass there might be a slight bulge on the neck either high towards the tip of the brass neck or in between
the top of the brass neck, or down the neck to just above the shoulder on the neck.

just a suggestion we all have this happen sometime in our loading experience.

Tip of the hat to, RAMRODDOC, there's a lot of very good and experienced reloaders here.

Just slow down and take your time reloading is a passion for accuracy, and relaxation, not a race..

Good luck in your reloading quest....

Last edited:
1-Naked brass case, of nickel coated.
2-New or 1X fired case?
3-Donut at base of neck at top of shoulder?
4-Doe's the rounds that want chamber have marks near the base of the case?

1-3 can be combined as a issue to to the fact that nickel coating can a formed a thicker area at the base of the neck from resizing, will have to turn it to clean it up.
2- If this brass was fired in a different rifle that had a sloppy, over sized chamber by the manufacturer ( (usually intentionally done for reliable feeding) you may have to set your dies to cam over a bit to reduce the dimension of the case at the base to overcome the spring back that brass has from the original chamber.
4- If here is a marks on the base, you will need to set your die to reduce this. And this issue could quite possibly be the die out of spec.

I have seen this so many times from used brass from one rifle trying to be used in another rifle so many time that it's unreal. Usually the best way to assure that this may work out is using a small base sizing die to make it work.

Last edited:
Hard to say without being there. Check the rounds that would not chamber and see if there are any rifling marks on them. Might be too long.

Where did you get the OAL that you used?

Also. when you was re-sizing the cases on the down stroke was it hard to pull the case out of the die?
If so you stretched the case to the point where the shoulders are contacting and not allowing it to chamber.
Spray on lube can cause this by not dying long enough or being to dry. If this is the case you are lucky you didn't get a stuck case
Get some Imperial sizing wax-lube and you want have to worry about this issue.

1. Yes it was nickel cases.
2. Some were fired in my rifle and some were given to me. May explain why some would chamber correctly.
3 yes the die was kissing the top of the shell holder and backed off 1/4 turn.
4. Once fired brass.
5. This is the first time I have loaded this caliber.
6. I looked for marks on the cases and didn't see any.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I plan on removing the bullets and starting over. After resizing I want to see if the resized case will chamber.

Ease your die down a bit and to kiss the shell holder and size it and see it will chamber then.
Make sure that your case length is within the specs. if they are too long, that may be where your problem is.
You can also remove the expander ball to keep from stretching the neck any more.

Back
Top Bottom