• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What did we learn from Irma?

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
I bet Irma gave most people in FL and GA a chance to evaluate and think about their supplies, their plans, check lists, etc..

What about certain cell phone apps? I realized my Gas Buddy was not the latest revision and was not giving the gas stations that were sold out of gas. How about GPS apps. Did one shine over the others - Google Maps vs Waze vs etc..

Any other insights?

My little $6 LED Walmart lanterns worked way better than I thought they would. Yhe propane powered generator hadn't been run in 3 years, started on second pull. And my propane conversion for my coleman gas stove worked great, had never used it. (converted all backups to propane for unlimited shelf life on fuel)

I ran extension cords from the generator, had no problems. My neighbor tried backfeeding his breaker panel and did about $800 in damage to his electronics.

I learned butterfly bushes dont withstand wind. Good riddance - that thing was overgrown anyway.

My father in N ga lost power, water, and cell phone coverage - with trees down he couldn't get out of his neighborhood either. No contact for even half a day had people worried - its crazy how reliant we are on technology and immediate accessibility.

That the packaged baby food we bought in case we lost power for a few days is much more convenient than the organic homemade baby food we prepare for our daughter.
JK, I already knew that.:p

My beer to hurricane cat scale was way off. Now I know...
Your cat scale is off?;)
536373042.jpg

Will be updating my 1974 breaker panel with a direct feed from generator (yet to be purchased). Otherwise good to go. Propane and grill to cook, just tired of cables and wires all over the floor. Oh, and AT&T sux as bad or worse than COX cable and Georgia Power.

Back
Top Bottom