• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What did we learn from Irma?

I've been pondering about this: If there's a widespread power outage, what keeps the N.G. in the line pressurized? Is there a local, or far away pumping station? Will the pressure stop if no power(similar to county/city water)?
That's an excellent question. Any fuel resupply may be problematical in a long term event. Maybe go dual fuel natural/propane unit would be best bet. If I weren't sitting in a pine thicket, solar would be my first choice, with propane generator as backup for those rainy/cloudy winter periods.

I had done it at a previous house for Y2K, so I had a blueprint in mind for what needed doing. At the other install, I needed to power a deep well to provide water for 100 cows. They would die in less than a week with no power. with that motivation, I got the info and hardware I had to have.

It is easy to do, just a bunch of work that you never get to appreciate unless and until you lose power.
100 head how much land? You could do the well the old fashion way, wind mill pump..

I've been pondering about this: If there's a widespread power outage, what keeps the N.G. in the line pressurized? Is there a local, or far away pumping station? Will the pressure stop if no power(similar to county/city water)?

NG use predates electricity. They used to be pressurized by the weighted lids in the large storage tanks. If gravity fails, we all have more pressing problems than powering up the TV.

These days I am sure they use elect driven pumps, but generators at pumping stations are normal.

NG use predates electricity. They used to be pressurized by the weighted lids in the large storage tanks. If gravity fails, we all have more pressing problems than powering up the TV.

These days I am sure they use elect driven pumps, but generators at pumping stations are normal.
I would assume N.G. generators, eeeexcellent!

In all to power outages have had in the 23 years at this house the N.G. always worked. We could always run the gas logs, stove, and space heater.

I imagine the residual pressures in the mains( 100 psi+) would feed the house services at 7" water column (< 1/2psi) for a good while.

I learned that it would be nice to have a N.G. drop and conversion for the generator. Pouring gasoline out of a five gallon can is a PITA, and a bit dangerous. After one try I decided that pouring it into the 2-1/2 gallon can first was the way to go.

One other thing I learned. The generator I bought on sale for $899 two years ago is priced at $804 everyday at HD.

Back
Top Bottom