• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What did we learn from Irma?

A lot of people learned nothing, not future preparation in case such SHTF again....some poeple got no survival skill or what it takes to stay calm and apply common sense, it's sad.

I can say I am in better shape for the next time. I took some of the lessons to actions. I have now installed a quick back feed connection to my breaker panel. I can have electrical power back in a matter of a few minutes. Also, I have performed all needed maintenance on my generator and have put together a maintenance schedule for it. I just changed the gas with stabilizer, replaced the oil and oil filter, replaced the spark plug and the air filter, and ran the generator for 45 minutes. I also have a hard copy for step by step procedures for starting the generator, stopping and storing it, connecting and powering the house, and how to disconnect the generator. The hard copy is located in my power panel where I can easily find it when needed.

Personally though
Some things we realized we needed:
-I need a bigger chainsaw and 4 extra chains so I can hot swap without sharpening.
-I need weather resistant tags I can zip tie to the gas cans to better identify age and type.
-I needed a 100ft extension cord (purchased)
-1 needed a 25ft extension cord (purchased)
-I need hauling chains
-I needed more USB charging capability (purchased 6port USB hub it's amazing)
-large cheap plastic pitchers are worth their weight in gold for washing hands or transferring water to our Big Berkey (purchased 6).

Some things that failed:

-the throttle spring on our generator failed causing severe surging which rendered our generator inop. Temporarily fixed with rubber band.

-interior living space very dark during the day due to a front porch overhang. May look into cheap door hanging mirrors to angle on porch floor and reflect light into interior ceilings.

-The battery on our laptop is failing. Won't hold a charge more than 30 minutes. Will look into new one.

Some things that went well:
-our Walmart wall sconce tea light holders work great. We have one in every room. Large rooms and the kids rooms will get more.
-Stanley Fatmax 700 battery pack is great. It has 3 USB ports and have a ton of charge. Can also be used to power my various amateur radios.

I also learned that it’s good to have two chainsaws and a total of four chains. When one chainsaw get stuck it’s easier to make a parallel cut from the other direction with a second chainsaw than it is to try to pound in wedges or leverage up the log to release the pinch .

I learned that when you’re trying to roll a 1000 pound section of tree trunk and it starts rolling toward you, get the *bleep* out of its way.

On one particular day I quit after about two hours of chainsawing, wrestling, and splitting logs. I just had enough. I started singing that song made famous by the Bobby Fuller Four:
“I fought the log, and the log won!”

I learned (really, already knew) that a lot of my neighbors have chainsaws and 4x4 trucks with logging chains to drag fallen trees off the road.

Several years ago, I got up at 4 a.m. to help clear the road when a tree of my neighbor's fell across the street.

A month ago, other neighbors did the same thing in my area. By the time I hit the road at 8 a.m., everything had been cleared already! Every mile of road had at least one freshly-cut tree off to the side of the road, and obviously it had been across the road earlier in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom