• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Do I have Here? Contender barrel Question.

wallacem

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
163   0
Reaction score
Guys I am not sure if this is the correct place to put this. I have this 16" bull stainless contender barrel, in 32-20, made in the TC custom shop, and the last 4-5" of the barrel screws off, leaving a pencil size barrel that is all part of the rest of the barrel. What in the world could be the reason for this outer piece to come off for? Walt.

Attachments

• Cont 1.jpg
    Cont 1.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Cont 2.jpg
    Cont 2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Cont 4.jpg
    Cont 4.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 39
  • cont 3.jpg
    cont 3.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 39
Guys I am not sure if this is the correct place to put this. I have this 16" bull stainless contender barrel, in 32-20, made in the TC custom shop, and the last 4-5" of the barrel screws off, leaving a pencil size barrel that is all part of the rest of the barrel. What in the world could be the reason for this outer piece to come off for? Walt.
In for the answer. I would guess it's just for weight reasons but that still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

my best guess is as its a bull barrel it was made for target shooting and that there was another part of the barrel that could thread on to increase the length of the barrel for even longer shots

Interesting.
Indeed. It really doesn't seem to "do" anything. My only guess would be that screwing it off lightens up the rifle if you wanted to hunt with it or shoot it off hand, rather than from a rest. But that seems like such an odd thing to do. Not to mention that the barrel harmonics are going to be different with it screwed on vs having it off. It would be interesting to see if POI changes....maybe not, though given how anemic the .32WCF round is.

I'm in for an answer.

Indeed. It really doesn't seem to "do" anything. My only guess would be that screwing it off lightens up the rifle if you wanted to hunt with it or shoot it off hand, rather than from a rest. But that seems like such an odd thing to do. Not to mention that the barrel harmonics are going to be different with it screwed on vs having it off. It would be interesting to see if POI changes....maybe not, though given how anemic the .32WCF round is.

I'm in for an answer.

Those were thoughts and questions I had, as well.

It couldn't be for an OTB suppressor, could it?

I thought of that. The ones that I’m familiar with have a perforated barrel under the sleeve, but that don’t mean they all do. I’m not a suppressor expert by any means.

.32-20 would be easy to suppress.

Back
Top Bottom