• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Do I have Here? Contender barrel Question.

Guys I am not sure if this is the correct place to put this. I have this 16" bull stainless contender barrel, in 32-20, made in the TC custom shop, and the last 4-5" of the barrel screws off, leaving a pencil size barrel that is all part of the rest of the barrel. What in the world could be the reason for this outer piece to come off for? Walt.

Any markings near the chamber, and does it look to be reamed out? I had an Uncle that was into those, he had barrels cut and chambers reamed for specific loadings.

I thought of that. The ones that I’m familiar with have a perforated barrel under the sleeve, but that don’t mean they all do. I’m not a suppressor expert by any means.

.32-20 would be easy to suppress.
Yup....it's right on the edge of being subsonic with fullhouse loads already.

I'm googling like crazy and can't find anything. OP looks like you have a true "custom" on your hands. What it's used for, I'm completely unsure, though! :laugh:

I'll go with " a customer asked the T/C factory custom shop to build this rifle barrel as pictured...

... with the intention that the customer will then finish making it suppressor-ready himself, or take it to a different machine shop for that work ...

which would involve drilling at least a couple of small holes [Edited] (1) to vent pressure into the back section of the suppressor-- the section which would not contain any baffles of course but would be simply an expansion chamber for overpressure. The baffles would be in front of this gun's muzzle at the very end of the turned- down barrel.

In other words, 1/2 to 2/3 of the suppressor's length would overlap this gun's barrel and the last half or the last 1/3 would be in front of the barrel as we see it in this photo.

Footnote 1: The vent holes would not have to be through this barrel intruding into the rifle section of the bore. The vent holes could be at the back of the suppressor itself, with a vented or slotted collar that both touches the guns actual muzzle and stabilizes it while allowing some of the gas formed between the muzzle and the first blast baffle to be vented through a couple of tiny holes to start pressurizing this hollow area --that looks to be about four or 5 inches long.

I think the type of suppressor I'm speaking of is called an "integral suppressor" but many integral suppressors do not have that back expansion chamber that I speak of --all they are is a set of baffles and the only suppression that takes place is entirely in front of the gun's muzzle.

What I'm speaking of is something that's found in relatively rare and usually older designs like the Welrod pistol or the Deslile carbine.

9C8C8AD7-3FF0-418F-8373-8D128565AEA1.jpeg
BC9C6E5F-543C-4D05-B7CC-7584E8A15BA4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom