• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What do i need to know about WMA shooting ranges?

Screenshot_20220601-114250_Chrome.jpg
wilson shoals shooting range

Used to shoot there every Tuesday. If possible go on a weekday and not a weekend especially at peak hours. I arrive at 9am sharp. Generally around 11am it will pickup. They have plenty of spots but some days are busier than others. I believe all you need is a fishing license. Check in with the ROs and provide your DNR #. Instructors call cold and hot when it's busy. Generally they will trust you to call it if there's only a few shooters on the range. ROs will watch you from their post. Just have common sense and know gun safety. When they call cold drop mag and bring the bolt to the rear, clear your action. Everyone steps behind a yellow line and the gate is open if you need to check your targets downrange. If not stay behind the line or you will get a nice verbal warning. You can't double tap or rapid fire. Shoot steel or brass. Just clean it up afterwards and make sure you leave your area the way it was when you arrived. I've had great times up there. ROs are super cool and sweet people. Oh and there is an outback toward parking. Terrible cell service too but look at where you are at. Must bring your own targets and also bring a staple gun.

The range at Chestnut Mtn has been my go to outdoor range for years. Yes, it is crowded on weekends and a lot of shooters don't respect the fact others are waiting. Best times are weekdays, watch your stuff, often onlookers are on the lookout. Also watch your back when downrange, range safety is lacking. But then what do expect for $5.00.
I recently used Advanced Bullets outdoor range near Temple, Ga. Small family owned shop and range, safety oriented facility.

Charlie Elliott will be using the new KONGSBERG Target system, all will have to go to the visitor center/range and watch a safety video, No more walking down range, you can look at a monitor to see where you hit the target, you will not have targets as we all knew before the targets now will imposed on the monitor you will have some choices to make, and you will be able to print your target off to a printer that will be set up for giving you a paper showing your hits.

No more calling line cold or line hot. Everything is changing and will be very different when the range opens back up.

BRANDON WILLIAMS, is the superintendent, over the ranges at Charlie Elliott now.

Charlie Elliott will be using the new KONGSBERG Target system, all will have to go to the visitor center/range and watch a safety video, No more walking down range, you can look at a monitor to see where you hit the target, you will not have targets as we all knew before the targets now will imposed on the monitor you will have some choices to make, and you will be able to print your target off to a printer that will be set up for giving you a paper showing your hits.

No more calling line cold or line hot. Everything is changing and will be very different when the range opens back up.

BRANDON WILLIAMS, is the superintendent, over the ranges at Charlie Elliott now.
CMP Park Talladega uses the same system.

Very nice until you have a flyer hit one of the mics. 😳

I need to go get a hunting or fishing license...just for the ranges...and the DNR take out on the Cartecay! get a cpl more miles of class 2/3 water when my dad and I are kayaking up in Ellijay!

I know, and you are correct. There will be 3-5 more WMA'S that will have them installed also in GEORGIA.
It also used by the USA Military branches also, in the rifle shooting training...
A tip of the hat to ya also...

I need to go get a hunting or fishing license...just for the ranges...and the DNR take out on the Cartecay! get a cpl more miles of class 2/3 water when my dad and I are kayaking up in Ellijay!
If you're just going to get one, please get a hunting license to help maximize Georgia's Robertson-Pittman funds.

Apparently not cheap. Can't remember what the guy at Talladega quoted as a repair cost but I remember feeling a little pressure for my first rounds at 600 yards. ;)

Back
Top Bottom