• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Do I Want?

napp

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
45   0
Reaction score
Looking for a little advice on buying a car gun. Here are some of my thoughts. After you read them, I would like to see some of your comments.

1. Gun must be cheap...preferably under $250. If it is stolen from the car, I don't want to take a big financial hit.
2. Must be reliable....don't care about pretty....but should shoot without fail.
3. Should be a revolver. I don't want the possibility of ejected casings ricocheting around inside the car.
4. Would prefer six round cylinder; but could go with five.
5. Barrel length should be at least two inches....but no more than three inches. Gun is carried in a holster velcroed to side of console. Longer barrel lengths get unwieldy inside the car.
6. A car gun can be expected to be fired from within the car....probably one handed; therefore, recoil and noise should be considerations. Most likely, the best caliber would be .38 Special....but, I am open to other suggestions.

I suspect likely candidates that meet most of the above criteria will be guns made by Armscor, Rossi, Charter Arms, Taurus, and other non-premium name brands. My price point will likely eliminate S&W, Colt, and Ruger guns.

Comments....suggestions????

Looks like you've answered your own questions by using your criteria to eliminate options. Only a few revolvers will match your needs...I'd go with Taurus or Rossi, MAYBE Charter Arms...but I'd shoot the heck out of it to make sure it runs reliably. I had a brand new Charter Arms that wouldnt...but the next owner said it ran 100 percent for him. Could have been the ammo?

Same.. me tho SCCY 9mm..semi but have 2..no failure with factory or handloads.shot the snot out both. Cheap reliable accurate and a good warranty.

Looks like you've answered your own questions by using your criteria to eliminate options. Only a few revolvers will match your needs...I'd go with Taurus or Rossi, MAYBE Charter Arms...but I'd shoot the heck out of it to make sure it runs reliably. I had a brand new Charter Arms that wouldnt...but the next owner said it ran 100 percent for him. Could have been the ammo?
Same same on a charter. Had a Taurus that ran all day eer day though. Go figure

When I bought the Charter Arms, I was trying to save money on my EDC. After shooting it and having the failures, I decided my life and my family's wasn't worth risking by saving money and buying a cheap gun.

My 2nd lesson was cheap gun or not---if your life is going to depend on it---run it and make sure it's going to do what it's supposed to when that moment comes. For semi-autos, that means running your expensive SD ammo through it. Just cuz it cycles ball ammo doesn't mean it's gonna cycle your JHP's when that moment comes.

Part 2 of the above...if you unload when you get home, periodically check for deformities. If the same round gets chambered a few times and deforms, it may not cycle if it's the 2nd or 3rd or whatever round down the mag later on.

Thanks, I saw it; but it is quite a hike from my house.
Can't go wrong with something like a LCR or even an old S&W wheel gun. I have a Protector Poly? .38 +P Taurus in my pants time now it goes bang, has a fiber front sight, is light weight and rated for +P and got it for less than 300.00 in fact 260.00 BNIB at buds gunshop in stock time now.
IMG_4511.JPG

I've got a .38 Special LCR w/ laser; but it would bother me to leave something that pricey in the car and risk it being stolen. I have been using a S&W Model 64-4 in my car; but it has a 4" barrel...I would prefer something shorter.

Back
Top Bottom