• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What do y'all think really will help?

Stop punishing parents that care enough to use corporal punishment. Some kids require a good ass beating from time to time.

Why is this guy called a "shooter" and not a terrorist? I bet those folks in the theater felt terrorized. Anyhow, the thing with terrorism is that it's random and unpredictable so there isn't much you can do. On the other hand, I think it's flat out stupid that companies would put out products like 100 round drums to the general public. They serve absolutely no practical purpose and do more harm to the image of gun owners than good, IMO. I know it's your right and you can carry around a 300 round drum if you so desire, but it's stupid. I don't feel they should be regulated, however, but I do think that some manufacturers should voluntarily rethink uber-capacity magazines.

Yeah, I know, he could've just carried around 3 30 round mags but at least he would've had to do two mag swaps, and there would be no gawking at 100 round drums.

I agree a lot with what youve said. To me, a shooter is someone who is skilled at shooting among other things (I.E. SOC, SWAT people like that). This guy was a freeking lunatic, thats all nothing else. And another thing that pisses me to no extent........."sniper", the media labels any idiot who has a scoped rifle and kills inocent people a "sniper". A real SNIPER, is trained (again) shooter who with one shot, can inflict as much if not more damage on people than an army can. These people, shooters and snipers, are not some crazed machines that go around killing for no reason other than mommy didnt pay them enough attention. ok done ranting. reading further.

www.thepeoplescube.com_images_Obama_Poster_Cowbell.gif

Stop punishing parents that care enough to use corporal punishment. Some kids require a good ass beating from time to time.

Absolutely right on that.
Even when that wack job Dr Spock who wrote the book on it,
He was later quoted as saying that he was wrong when he presented that idea.
Even in the wild and animal will punish its young to protect them and set them on the right path.

Last edited:
Enforce a speedy trial and a speedy capital punishment in cases such as the recent one where their is no doubt. Public execution as in decades gone by would probably help too.
Make the punishment fit the crime and carry it out.

I honestly believe there needs to be a bill proposed for rampage killings that would put the killer to death in a matter of weeks. A stiffer judicial system would be wonderful.

It seems to me that many of the rampage killers are fine with dying when they start murdering. Maybe they change their minds during or after, but the threat of death or punishment would have little effect in stopping them from happening IMO. Besides, there are all other issues with changing the judicial system for the relatively few rampage killings.

Stricter and harsher punishments for gun crimes wouldn't hurt. Why do I care what the consequences are if I am not or ever will be a criminal?

Basically, the whole point of the second amendment is that you may one day be viewed as a criminal by the government.
Jews in the Attic Test

I do firmly believe that if there is not a reasonable proposition put forward, that the NRA can agree with, that there will be some type of across the board ban in place sometime in the future, especially if Obama is reelected

My honest opinion, is that there should be a type of additional screening for assault rifles to include a psychological check. This could be done with out the gun retailer actually knowing what the reason for the hold on the sale is, and the persons privacy would be intact. The same thing happens when you apply for a CCW or you buy a weapon, and you have some type of minor violence charge. They hold it for a couple of days to investigate, and then usually go thru with the sale. Or if you have a CCW, then you could just buy whatever. Thats not exactly what I would like to see happen, but that seems to be a feasible option given our current state of government. I would like to see criminals actually punished for crimes and a justice system that works. I htink that would help tremendously.

Shall not be infringed. Any more regulation or paper work which allows the government to control the sale of firearms is a step closer to fundamental changes in gun rights. It's the slippery slope argument.

No offense intended, this isn't a contest. Just trying to make a point. I think there has to be some fundamental changes in how the topic is discussed. The second amendment is meant to protect citizens from governments, not rage killers. You have a 0.00045% chance of being murdered in the US. What are the chances there will one day be a need for citizens (us or our descendants) to be armed, either against our own government or another... I think it's near 100%.

What do we do to stop rage killings? Nothing. It is tragic that 12 innocent civilians lost their lives in Aurora, CO. There is no debating that. Also this year, 18 Americans have been killed by lightning. I think it'd be cheaper and more effective for the government to mandate that everyone wear lighting rods than enforce more gun control.

I'm afraid that all arguments about what we can do to stop these attacks are mute, because in the grand schema of things we aren't talking about criminals, terrorist, or crazy people, we're talking about Murphy. "whatever can happen will", and that's scary to us because we don't like to admit that we aren't in control.

To understand where I'm cumming from I have talk a little about what I learned in the Navy. I spent 4 yrs on one of our latest and greatest destroyers and I learned a few things about Murphy during that time. A US Destroyer is built to deal with anything and it's crew is trained to do the same. There are two of everything that isn't important, three of everything that is, and four of everything vital. There's a technician for everything on that ship and there's nothing that doesn't have a plan B or C. But even with all of the planning, preventive maintenance, and training, we couldn't stop Murphy. He always showed up sooner or latter. We had an at sea collision with another ship, we lost power 1,000 miles away from anyone friendly, and we lost the use of a propeller off the cost of Iran, just to name a few bad times. I learned that we couldn't stop Murphy from showing up, all we could do is fight back when he did.... That's why there are multiples of everything and five ways to do it..... and that's my point.

Murphy will always show up sooner or latter, if it's not a shooting in a school, then its a shooting in a theater or church or a bomb on the subway or whatever we least expect. The only thing we can do is be prepared to fight back when it happens or sit at home afraid and lock everyone up that could be a "problem".... The communists trade the latter of those two options and well, we've seen how that works out.

Now I'm not saying we should all walk around with AK's on our backs and be scared of the "what ifs", but rather have a few simple plans and tools to deal with Murphy. We do this already with car insurance, Advil in the medicine cabinet, and emergency bags. Personally I take the same approach with the possibility of an "active shooter".... Plan A: don't get shot at in the first place, plan B: have a gun to shoot back if I do; plan C have a pack of quick clot somewhere near (like my car) encase I get shot. Your plan doesn't have to be the same as mine, but you should have some sort of a plan.

In the end it doesn't matter what laws we make or steps we take to prevent these incidents from happening again because I think we all know that they will no matter what we do... the only viable option is to have a plan and train for it even if it's as simple as carrying a gun and making regular trips to the range.

Last edited:
Enforce a speedy trial and a speedy capital punishment in cases such as the recent one where their is no doubt. Public execution as in decades gone by would probably help too.
Make the punishment fit the crime and carry it out.

100% agreement with public executions.Yes psycho's have little remorse and impathy but it will wake up society too be aware of no deed is left undone.Capitol punishment should be carried out speedily instead of deathrow waits for years and decades.

It seems to me that many of the rampage killers are fine with dying when they start murdering. Maybe they change their minds during or after, but the threat of death or punishment would have little effect in stopping them from happening IMO. Besides, there are all other issues with changing the judicial system for the relatively few rampage killings.

Basically, the whole point of the second amendment is that you may one day be viewed as a criminal by the government.
Jews in the Attic Test

Shall not be infringed. Any more regulation or paper work which allows the government to control the sale of firearms is a step closer to fundamental changes in gun rights. It's the slippery slope argument.

No offense intended, this isn't a contest. Just trying to make a point. I think there has to be some fundamental changes in how the topic is discussed. The second amendment is meant to protect citizens from governments, not rage killers. You have a 0.00045% chance of being murdered in the US. What are the chances there will one day be a need for citizens (us or our descendants) to be armed, either against our own government or another... I think it's near 100%.

What do we do to stop rage killings? Nothing. It is tragic that 12 innocent civilians lost their lives in Aurora, CO. There is no debating that. Also this year, 18 Americans have been killed by lightning. I think it'd be cheaper and more effective for the government to mandate that everyone wear lighting rods than enforce more gun control.

In my head, when I said a psychological check or screening, I was thinking along the lines of how they do the standard background checks now. Like a flagging system. Say if you had gone to a shrink for violent tendencies or something, that could be red flagged in a system the same way a domestic violence charge could. I didn't mean that you should go through a psychological work up to buy an AR15, no no no. But in hindsight, that wouldn't work. Not to mention, it would be viewed as a total invasion of privacy. So I am going to go ahead and let that argument be defeated.

I made this argument to a friend last night. You can't stop mad men or crazy people. We have established that point. So, I think it is probably a pretty good thing that the choice weapon in rampage killings are firearms, as opposed to what happens in other countries. Outside of the US, the most common methods are bombs and IEDs. But those are harder to make than it is to buy a rifle and some ammo. But take that option away, and you have mad men searching the internet for ways of killing people, and what pops up? Bomb making plans. Granted, that may be a little off point of the current topic.

Back
Top Bottom