• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What do you think? Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo??

E5E7FC1E-D1A2-42C3-AE78-2EBDDAB2153D.gif

I've had 4 jeeps and never any issues out of any of them. 1 CJ7, 1 YJ/Wrangler, 2 Grand Cherokees (the first 3 with 4.0 6 cylinder motors, the last with a V8 but I don't recall the specific size, I think it was the 5.2/318).

BUT just about every friend I've had with Jeeps has had a LOT of issues with them. I bought a Sequoia after the Jeeps and was very happy with it. Own a diesel touareg now and happy with it. Haven't had any major issues out of any of them and most of them I put 200k+ miles on them. Well at least the 2 GC's. Probably 150k on the Sequoia and my Touareg has 110k currently (2006).

My Dodge Dakota with the 4.7 went over 300,000 miles before we sold it. I beat the ever loving hell out of it and it took every bit in stride. Absolutely loved it. It was a 2000 model and the very first 4.7 Quad cab that was sold in Atlanta.

I have a 2001 Jeep GC. Owned it since 2006. It’s lifted since 2009. Only issue was the trans. It’s a 4.7 that gets around pretty good. It’s my toy vehicle and has been for several years now. There’s a whole demand for a straight axel v8 JGC for the off road community.

I've owned a ton of Cherokees, both square body and the grands. They are all older and have their issues, luckily pull a part has a bazillion of them, so cheap parts are easy if you're mechanically inclined. The 4.7 in those years was a joint thing with Mercedes. They have an oil return issue due to the passageways being too small. They will scream down the freeway, and are great when they work well. You just really have to watch the oil level and pressure closely, or you'll lock it up or break it.
Go ahead and expect to rebuild the transmission soon based upon the miles. It will go out.

Back
Top Bottom