• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What ever happened to the guy that moved to Costa Rica???????

July usually isn't too bad a month here, it's when CR gets a break from the rain for a few weeks. It's our Indian Summer (We're such racists here). Renting a car is the same as any other place, use the recognized agencies and you'll be fine. We have Adobe Rentacar right in front of my business, and I have several clients come in and out of CR who use them without complaint.
For adventure, a 4x4 is recommended if you're planning to go off the beaten path. Monteverde is a little far, but worth the drive. Arenal can be very "touristy" but if you go there don't miss spending a day at one of the hot springs. Tabacon is the most popular, I've been there and it's nice.
Just outside of Liberia, there's Volcan Rincon de la Vieja, a good hike up but you'll see active volcanic pits and pretty cool views.
About 2.5 hours east of Lake Arenal is Cataratas de La Paz, a waterfall and nature park. They have a hummingbird area with thousands of the little guys flying all over, landing on your hand, head, etc. It's very cool and an absolutely stunning drive there.

Beaches....stay away from the tourist traps like Playa del Coco (I live just outside of Coco). Tamarindo is very touristy but can be a cool town. Best beach in my opinion, is 10 minutes from my house - Playa Hermosa. Not sure when it happens, but turtles lay eggs and hatch on Playa Grande, about 30-40 minutes south of here. People are welcome to walk the beach while the little turds come out of the sand and waddle into the sea, but you can't touch them. There are also plenty of small unknown beaches here, our favorite is Calzon de Pobre, which means "poor man's underwear". Right now the road into it is all chopped up but still accessible, they're building a new Waldorf Astoria there.

Fishing is ok in July but you're not going to see sailfish or marlin in that time of year. Billfish season is typically October through March. Inshore fishing is good though, and tuna runs are always good.

Then of course there's ziplining, scuba, snorkeling, waverunners, hiking, quad tours, horseback tours, and on and on.

Ask me anything if you want, if I can help make your trip a good one I will certainly try.
Thanks for the response and recommendations, was thinking of hitting up a volcano, and hot springs, for sure, maybe try to see if I remember how to surf, the hummingbird area sounds really cool and hadnt heard of that yet. I'm visiting family this weekend but will probably have a few more questions later this week once I've nailed down my accommodations.

Will have to remember to bring some underwear with holes in it.

July usually isn't too bad a month here, it's when CR gets a break from the rain for a few weeks. It's our Indian Summer (We're such racists here). Renting a car is the same as any other place, use the recognized agencies and you'll be fine. We have Adobe Rentacar right in front of my business, and I have several clients come in and out of CR who use them without complaint.
For adventure, a 4x4 is recommended if you're planning to go off the beaten path. Monteverde is a little far, but worth the drive. Arenal can be very "touristy" but if you go there don't miss spending a day at one of the hot springs. Tabacon is the most popular, I've been there and it's nice.
Just outside of Liberia, there's Volcan Rincon de la Vieja, a good hike up but you'll see active volcanic pits and pretty cool views.
About 2.5 hours east of Lake Arenal is Cataratas de La Paz, a waterfall and nature park. They have a hummingbird area with thousands of the little guys flying all over, landing on your hand, head, etc. It's very cool and an absolutely stunning drive there.

Beaches....stay away from the tourist traps like Playa del Coco (I live just outside of Coco). Tamarindo is very touristy but can be a cool town. Best beach in my opinion, is 10 minutes from my house - Playa Hermosa. Not sure when it happens, but turtles lay eggs and hatch on Playa Grande, about 30-40 minutes south of here. People are welcome to walk the beach while the little turds come out of the sand and waddle into the sea, but you can't touch them. There are also plenty of small unknown beaches here, our favorite is Calzon de Pobre, which means "poor man's underwear". Right now the road into it is all chopped up but still accessible, they're building a new Waldorf Astoria there.

Fishing is ok in July but you're not going to see sailfish or marlin in that time of year. Billfish season is typically October through March. Inshore fishing is good though, and tuna runs are always good.

Then of course there's ziplining, scuba, snorkeling, waverunners, hiking, quad tours, horseback tours, and on and on.

Ask me anything if you want, if I can help make your trip a good one I will certainly try.
So I've got my itinerary planned and am mostly staying up in the mountains doing hikes and adventure things.

Flying into LIR renting an awd suv from Adobe, driving straight to Monteverde on the main roads just because I'm expecting customs/car rental to take longer than I think, staying 3 nights at an airbnb have a zipline, a guided hike scheduled, and maybe a canyoning thing too. Driving from there to Nuevo Arenal over the back roads, weather permitting, staying in an airbnb there three nights, planning on doing one hotsprings day at tabacon, doing the la fortuna waterfall, and some other hikes or maybe an atv tour before driving up to Rio Celeste where I'm staying three nights at a lodge. Plan on one day of hiking to the falls and maybe a whitewater thing/ rest day depending on how I'm feeling. Then I'm spending the last night in Playa Hermosa before flying out.

Definitely realizing that 10 days in Costa Rica isn't even enough to see half the things I want to and will have to come back sometime in the future. Thanks again for the suggestions/recommendations.

So I've got my itinerary planned and am mostly staying up in the mountains doing hikes and adventure things.

Flying into LIR renting an awd suv from Adobe, driving straight to Monteverde on the main roads just because I'm expecting customs/car rental to take longer than I think, staying 3 nights at an airbnb have a zipline, a guided hike scheduled, and maybe a canyoning thing too. Driving from there to Nuevo Arenal over the back roads, weather permitting, staying in an airbnb there three nights, planning on doing one hotsprings day at tabacon, doing the la fortuna waterfall, and some other hikes or maybe an atv tour before driving up to Rio Celeste where I'm staying two nights at a lodge. Plan on one day of hiking to the falls and maybe a whitewater thing/ rest day depending on how I'm feeling. Then I'm spending the last two nights in Playa Hermosa before flying out.

Definitely realizing that 10 days in Costa Rica isn't even enough to see half the things I want to and will have to come back sometime in the future. Thanks again for the suggestions/recommendations.
Wow. Ok, private message me your travel dates/times. My company and my office are directly behind Adobe, a 15-second walk. Your itinerary is excellent, you'll have a great time. When you wrap up in the mountains and head to Hermosa, I'll give you my number and we can meet for a Chiliguaro at Aquasport (cool beachfront bar/restaurant).

Back
Top Bottom