• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What exactly is the point in peeking at my gwcl?

P.S. For a few years now, Georgia has had a law that says courts must, when sentencing a person for an offense that would disqualify them from gun ownership or GWL eligibility, inquire of the defendant to ask if that person has a GWL. If so, the Court will inform the person that it is revoked (and/or that any gun possession from this time forward is unlawful). The court will forward a copy of the sentence sheet to the Probate Court where that license was issued so that the Probate Court can mark the records under that person's file as "revoked."

I don't have a citation to that law handy, sorry. It's not a very well known one.

P.S. For a few years now, Georgia has had a law that says courts must, when sentencing a person for an offense that would disqualify them from gun ownership or GWL eligibility, inquire of the defendant to ask if that person has a GWL. If so, the Court will inform the person that it is revoked (and/or that any gun possession from this time forward is unlawful). The court will forward a copy of the sentence sheet to the Probate Court where that license was issued so that the Probate Court can mark the records under that person's file as "revoked."

I don't have a citation to that law handy, sorry. It's not a very well known one.
And the disqualified person will still have the permit in his/her possession.
How do I know this? Because I have witnessed it first hand.

To your point "Everybody in this thread who has posted that GWL is meaningless to determine current eligibility to own firearms, since somebody could have had a disqualifying event since that license was issued or last renewed is taking the side of the gun grabbers"......
anim_bs3.gif

Its a small thing to ask to see a ga driver license or gwl.

No info needs to be copied or kept, but I want to know Ive sold a weapon to someone who is likely to at least be a GA resident and in the case of a gwl, more likely to not be a felon.

Really...I want to know...this is more idiotic than a basic bill of sale...

I suppose you could ask to see a parole card instead. Either way, you get the info you need.

On a more serious note: If you ever got sued by someone (or their family) who was victimized using a gun you sold privately, and you ended up in front a jury, everything you testify can hold sway on the outcome. If you said, "I asked to see a GA weapons permit and the buyer showed it to me," you could easily sway the jury in your favor, if someone was claiming your negligence contributed to their harm.

I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with it. It's not like someone is creating a paper trail that could be abused by the government, just by looking at your GA weapons license. You leave a much bigger (digital) footprint here, in email, and with phone calls.

Back
Top Bottom