• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What exactly is the point in peeking at my gwcl?

LOL.....you don't have to be a state resident to legally possess either a GA Drivers License or GWP. Once a GWP is issued it is still valid within GA even if you move out of state. I lived out of state for over 10 years while in the Army and the whole while had a valid GA Drivers License even though I didn't live in the state and as far as the ATF was concerned wasn't a resident of Georgia..

LOL.....you don't have to be a state resident to legally possess either a GA Drivers License or GWP. Once a GWP is issued it is still valid within GA even if you move out of state. I lived out of state for over 10 years while in the Army and the whole while had a valid GA Drivers License even though I didn't live in the state and as far as the ATF was concerned wasn't a resident of Georgia..
But...but....the children

If you've got one, great... at some point you went through the process to prove that you're a law-abiding citizen. Of course, as others have mentioned, this has no bearing on the fact that you could have created a human boneyard in your backyard since then. I guess I use it as more of a gauge of a person's integrity... kind of along the lines of, "If you don't have anything to hide..." I used it a lot when I used to do transactions where there wasn't a large feedback system/database available (armslist, formerly through facebook, etc.). I found that BOS/BOT/peeking at licenses was much more common in those circles. Here, if you've got good feedback and we've developed a good rapport over PM, then I don't usually think twice about it. If someone wants to peek at mine, whatever.

I think the solution is we start meeting at the home of the buyer and allow the seller in to search your house as well as do a criminal background check ...but you don't have to submit any documentation :)

I will post in th ad that i want to see one, but have only asked in person a couple of times due to the conversation. If you roll up with an out of state tag and talk about living on the border, i get a little leary about selling to you ad want to see something to give me a plausible out that your a ga resident. I also figure it keeps some of the scammers at bay if they know i want to at least see some id. Never recorded anything, as indont see the point. If anything a buyer has more to lose than a seller.

Actually I do it, just to get a rise outta those that have a since birth fear, of the dreaded BOS. They are the ones that are selling all the guns retrieved from the lake where all those firearms were lost in a tragic boating accident.
They also suffer from a severe disorder that is often know as"an unnatural attraction to cylindrical objects", read gun barrel, here not those deep buried phallic fears you had as a child when your first boner broke and milk spilled out.

Can you site a case in GA where this has ever happened?

No, but that doesn't mean it's never happened, or that it never will happen.

I've read many trial transcripts and I've sat on juries. What a witness says, and how convincing they are, matters to a jury. A lot. When a jury goes out to deliberate, if they heard a defendant in a civil suit describe having gone out of the way to be prudent, it might be the difference between winning and losing. You also can't count on a jury being 2A friendly. Screaming "but, but...2nd Amendment!" won't get you much sympathy in some places. You could end up in a Fulton or Dekalb County courthouse, with people who don't give a **** about gun rights, deciding whether or not to take your house and life savings.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other about showing permits. It's not required by law. But it's certainly a conservative, prudent approach to a private gun sale, if someone is so inclined. Civil suits are a weapon of choice for anti-gun rights folks, and in some cases, it's not even a matter of politics but, instead, just money.

Not sure why anyone even bothers to criticize the "peek at GWL" approach.

No, but that doesn't mean it's never happened, or that it never will happen.

I've read many trial transcripts and I've sat on juries. What a witness says, and how convincing they are, matters to a jury. A lot. When a jury goes out to deliberate, if they heard a defendant in a civil suit describe having gone out of the way to be prudent, it might be the difference between winning and losing. You also can't count on a jury being 2A friendly. Screaming "but, but...2nd Amendment!" won't get you much sympathy in some places. You could end up in a Fulton or Dekalb County courthouse, with people who don't give a **** about gun rights, deciding whether or not to take your house and life savings.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other about showing permits. It's not required by law. But it's certainly a conservative, prudent approach to a private gun sale, if someone is so inclined. Civil suits are a weapon of choice for anti-gun rights folks, and in some cases, it's not even a matter of politics but, instead, just money.

Not sure why anyone even bothers to criticize the "peek at GWL" approach.
he is absolutely correct, if you need absolute proof, so will the just deciding your fate, that simple act on your part to try to ensure laws were followed may have resulted in an innocent verdict. Or as a minimum, a mistrial, all it takes is one juror ro have doubt and little things like this can make that happen.

Back
Top Bottom