• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What exactly is the point in peeking at my gwcl?

You fixed that for yourself.

In a civil suit, you don't have many of the guaranteed protections from government, which you would have in a criminal court. Bad stuff that we couldn't readily foresee sometimes happens. Best not to kid yourself about such things.
So a potential buyer shows me his GWCL and it turns out to be fake, am I still responsible?

If you are that worried then only a 4473 and background check at an FFL dealer would completely cover you...and even that's not 100%.

Dude!
I was having a good hair day
When I got my GWL!

I show it to
EVERYONE!

Damn I'm sexy!

image.jpeg

I thought that the law was written in terms of "knowingly selling to a felon" being a crime. The rest of this thread is speculation and personal preference. What I find ridiculous in ads is a seller telling me that in exchange for me showing him mine, he'll show me his. Why the hell do I care what he's got in his pocket? He's selling the gun.

I thought that the law was written in terms of "knowingly selling to a felon" being a crime. The rest of this thread is speculation and personal preference. What I find ridiculous in ads is a seller telling me that in exchange for me showing him mine, he'll show me his. Why the hell do I care what he's got in his pocket? He's selling the gun.

When I post that I'm not talking about gwl's. I can send you some pics.

So you know you aint buyin a murder weapon.

It's not a black and white issue, and we're not talking about criminal liability. In a civil suit, all a plaintiff has to do is show that you contributed to a harmful outcome by indifference or carelessness that other people (jurors) perceive as unreasonable.

Nobody would reasonably expect you to be a detective or a psychologist in the transaction. But if you asked average members of society whether or not a simple, 10 second check of an ID card is reasonable, most will say yes, regardless of what the law says your burden is.
if you ask average members of society if they are good with giving some person they have never met their personal information most will say you have got to be f'n kidding me...but that's only a worry for a legit trader, criminals have no problem getting fake id and fake gwl and then you prove they ever had it and showed it to you :)

Because no felon would ever have a fraudulent license

Actually, I doubt many would. As mentioned somewhere else permit holders are less likely to be criminals than cops are. Florida revoked about 10 permits per 100,000 over the last 30 years. mostly for misdemeanor crimes. the odds of a person showing a current permit being a felon are pretty dang slim.

LOL.....you don't have to be a state resident to legally possess either a GA Drivers License or GWP. Once a GWP is issued it is still valid within GA even if you move out of state. I lived out of state for over 10 years while in the Army and the whole while had a valid GA Drivers License even though I didn't live in the state and as far as the ATF was concerned wasn't a resident of Georgia..

Pretty sure that would be because you were in the armed forces.

And sorry, but yeah you do need to be a GA resident to get a GA license. It's right on the DMV page. In fact you need (2) documents to prove it.

For a carry permit, you need to prove your county address using a verified document like a passport or GA drivers license. From the state web page...
  1. You will need the following documents;
    • Completed application form.
    • Copy of birth certificate or US passport
    • Drivers license or state ID card showing your county address
Again, some of this probably changes around if you are active military.

Back
Top Bottom