• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What food can be stored in a get home bag.

peanut butter
Good idea. And If you hit your local Dollar Tree they have it in little jars about half the size of the regular size. It's not bad tasting either. They also have a section for dried fruit nuts and trail mix in nice flat bags that will pack into smaller spaces. They even have $1.00 boxes of Tasters Choice instant coffee pouches. So if you can heat up water in the field you can have coffee.
Whatever you choose for your get home or bug out bags make sure you store the packages inside some decent quality zip lock bags . Mice can smell the food through whatever packaging material you have.

MRE is first choice, but they're bulky and heavy. Crackers will go stale. Sardines will work. The tuna packets (look like MRE entrees) will work well. Dried fruit. Peanut butter and honey, small jars of each. Protein bars are a good idea. Peanut butter gives protein, fats, and carbs. Hard candies for fast energy. Pepperoni sticks, vacuum sealed. Slim jims will keep and be good for a long time long after they no longer taste great. Beef jerky.

Best thing for saving space is power/protein bars. None of them taste good but they work. Maybe a bag or two of Great Value trail mix. Oh and WATER ! My wife stashed bottles of water under every seat in the Soul. Mayne throw a couple of energy shots in the globe box.

This. I'd be more concerned about adequate water than food.

As we all know from Naked and Afraid, you can go a long time without food, not so much without water.

I'd bone up on my Euell Gibbons and be prepared to forage.

I didn't have stuff in a bug out bag, but I did carry some stuff around in the car for an extended period of time (2 years). Canned goods will last a long time, but in the varied conditions of car, they will deteriorate over time. The liquids in most canned stuff react differently. Probably still edible, but I didn't want to find out. The protein bars did well, especially the ones with no chocolate. Surprisingly, vacuum packed saltines ("soda crackers") did real well - sailors traveled for years on hardtack. Plain saltines, no butter. Dried fruit in it's original packaging did well. Wasn't up to carrying around dried fish, but again, dry cod traveled for months and years on the ocean with no modern packaging.

On canned food: avoid tomato based items. Over time, the acid can cause issues in high temps and such. Re: water. I have a lifestraw, a metal water bottle that can be boiled, and old fashioned iodine purifcation tabs. I don't pack water in my get home bag

I usually sample many of the already listed items often from the dollar tree and keep them in my truck. Good to eat when i don't have time for lunch but can do double duty in an emergency. However my get home bag has 3 days worth of Coast guard ration bars and one mre for variety.

Anything with oils in it will go rancid within a year. Things that contain nuts will go bad, taste bad, and make you feel sick if you eat them.

Keeping Ziplock bags of trail mix (walmart stuff) is good, granola bars, foil bags of tuna, peanut butter crackers are all good. You dont want stuff liked canned tuna because you can spill it on yourself easily and need to use tools to open it. The sweet and salty nut bars get everywhere once you start eating them. Basic rules are keep it light weight and clean. You also want to avoid things that make you super thirsty or melt easily

MRE is first choice, but they're bulky and heavy. Crackers will go stale. Sardines will work. The tuna packets (look like MRE entrees) will work well. Dried fruit. Peanut butter and honey, small jars of each. Protein bars are a good idea. Peanut butter gives protein, fats, and carbs. Hard candies for fast energy. Pepperoni sticks, vacuum sealed. Slim jims will keep and be good for a long time long after they no longer taste great. Beef jerky.
mre is the last choice for me as the hotter it gets the shorter the life

Back
Top Bottom