• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What guns do you have that you never want to sell?

EAD9F27E-CFF8-4198-AF2A-41758F4A8B10.jpeg
1DD05783-EB51-4C3F-B8F0-0C19608FAED3.jpeg
C9D92A7C-FEE3-4399-9BC6-C0BE946B8E8F.jpeg

My modified Browning A-Bolt in .300 WSM will never leave me while I live. I've killed around 90 to 100 big game animals with it of 10 different species. It's been halfway around the world with me and is so much my go to rifle it has spoiled getting other rifles for me. For instance, I really like the idea of a Win M 70 Feather Weight in .270, but won't get it because it would just be a safe queen. I know when it gets down to it, I'll grab that 300.

My Bushmaster has been with me for around 20 years and, though I have changed some furniture, dropped in an after market trigger and made a few accessory changes, the heart of it is still the same factory rifle... and it shoots half MOA with factory ammo (I have ODT witnesses LOL) and high reliability. It's not going anywhere.

The newest one is a M1a Loaded I bought from another member a few years ago. It just feels right in my hands. I'm a big guy, so it fits me and this rifle is a true battle rifle. I love my Bushmaster AR and know it is the logical choice for combat, but with the M1a in my hands I feel damned near invincible. It was accurate when I bought it, but after Steve Edwards spent about two hours with it, it is a legit half MOA rifle with the right factory ammo.

So, the Browning is a keep due to nostalgia and familiarity, the Bushmaster is a keep due to logic and the M1a is a keep purely on emotion.

View attachment 2244257 Would be some to never get rid of
This is some information on your rifles.
I have read that Marlin states that there is no registry or records kept for these presentations sets of special 336 in 30-30 and matching 39 in .22LR made for the Marlin Centennial 1870 - 1970. They were issued to each customer by name as the set left the factory in 1970-72, from what I can find.
I have seen individual guns split apart from their set, but not many.
Each of the two rifles mirror a standard model, but carry unique features making them different from other 336s and 39s. Different on their own from the Cowboys, or Texans, or Century Limiteds, different from a Mountie or 39M and different even from the Octagon Mountie!
One question is always asked, “are they collectible” or are they “rare”? Well, that is up to the buyer to make that determination. However, I do know that the set with the case, can be difficult to find. They were made as presentation models, but not custom models, with a run of 1000 in each of the 336 action and frame and 39 action and frame.
They are hand engraved, and high grade walnut in a straight stock without flutes in the comb, brass fore stock cap not a band, medallions, 20" octagon barrel, square lever, crescent brass butt plate, not unique features, but the combination unique to the Brace of One Thousand. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the engraving and medallions, but the other attributes make for an excellent and unique set. They came in their own special double case, which was poorly comprised of materials that held moisture and deteriorated both the case and the guns' finish in some cases.
I will say this, if I found a set for sale, at a price I could afford, I would certainly be interested. Congrats on owning the set.

Back
Top Bottom