• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What happened to my brass?!?!

jjrock

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
64   0
Reaction score
nady One Shot case lube to lube my cases for resizing. I resized a big batch about a month or so ago and finally got around to trimming them tonight. I finished trimming them and threw them into the vibrator and they came out all speckled (see pics). Is this because I let that lube sit on there too long? They'll shoot just fine but my OCD makes it necessary to wipe them down. A rag doesn't easily do the trick so I have to use steel wool which sucks. Is this a rookie mistake? Do I need to use a different lube? Any other insight or suggestions?

Thanks!
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 3
Never had that problem?
it looks like maybe the cases/lube were exposed to ammonia?
I did buy a box of Winny 45 acp several years ago from Wally World and when I got to the range later on and opened the box the ammo looked just like that.
I just figured that it was either in the back end of a trailer in shipment with a broken bottle of ammonia/drain cleaner, etc and the fumes got to it or it was stored in the back store room near such a damaged item.
shot fine but I chunked the brass, which was a bummer.

What kind of tumbling media was it? walnut shells that have been used for a while so they're powdery?

nady One Shot case lube to lube my cases for resizing. I resized a big batch about a month or so ago and finally got around to trimming them tonight. I finished trimming them and threw them into the vibrator and they came out all speckled (see pics). Is this because I let that lube sit on there too long? They'll shoot just fine but my OCD makes it necessary to wipe them down. A rag doesn't easily do the trick so I have to use steel wool which sucks. Is this a rookie mistake? Do I need to use a different lube? Any other insight or suggestions?

Thanks!
View attachment 583120

I use frankford arsenal pump spray case lube and have never seen this with it but a thousand years ago when I was using the old fashion roll on lube pad this would happen if I let the media in the tumbler get too dusty.

It has to be lube related, I ran some 45 brass through there with no problems. Maybe I left the case luve on there too long? It was on there for a couple weeks maybe a month because I got busy or my ADHD kicked in.

Try washing them in warm water with some lemon juice. Just put them in a container with a tight lid. It doesn't take much lemon juice. About 2 ounces to a gallon of water. More will not hurt. you can let them set over night. That should remove the stains.

I have seen the same problem when I let my tumbler media get too dirty and I was using old dryer sheets in the media to prolong its life.

I changed the media and the problem went away.

Back
Top Bottom