• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What have I done...My '76 TA

shotgun 01

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
I have opened Pandora's box. After owning my 1976 TransAm since 1979, and having every excuse to not restore it, I have gone and done it. It is now totally disassembled, with parts being sent all over the place for rebuild. I am trying to buy as much AC Delco stuff as possible, and only want to put quality parts back on the car. This is a 455 4 speed car, with all numbers matching. It will go back in the original Cameo white paint, with red/black/charcoal graphics, with the Buckskin/saddle interior.

This is a very exciting project, but dayum, the cost is adding up. The guy doing the restoration keeps telling me what a "good" car this is. It has been garaged since 1987, and has no rust. The paint is original, with only one small spot of bondo in a door. At this point, we are considering putting it on a rotisserie. What the heck.

In '81, I had Barnett Performance do all of the machine work and heads on the engine. My friend and I assembled it, and it has run great. Even though the car has not been on the road for 30+ years, I start it up every couple of months, just to cycle the fluids. So, I am now considering what to do with the engine. Should I take it to an engine builder and have him completely rebuild it? I would like to increase the performance from the 400 hp it has now, to about 450 hp.

Are there any Pontiac guys on here that might have some suggestions? I have RamAir III exhaust manifolds and an Edlebrock RamAir III intake. I am planning to run the Quadrajet, Pypes 2.5" exhaust system, and HEI distributor.

Any thoughts?

Some pics.

Attachments

• 20181204_122811.jpg
    20181204_122811.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 280
  • 20181204_122738.jpg
    20181204_122738.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 272
Ok....now you have done it....by dis-assembling it now you have to rebuild/restore it. For engine especially since you are going "rotisserie", I would disassemble engine at least to a long block so you can clean/paint it back to new. If you have a lot of miles on engine, then I would do a light rebuild....bearings, re-ring, and seal. When you get her done, would love to see some pictures!!!

Use the engine guy that Big Chief uses on Street Outlaws. He runs a Pontiac engine. 450 hp is a piece of cake even on pump gas. Stay away from power adders. Go motor only and build for pump gas 93 octane.

Back
Top Bottom