• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What have I done...My '76 TA

Drive it hard. Blow motor. Replace it then.

True words of wisdom. Save your money. Don't restore back to bone stock with all AC Delco parts, factory this, factory markings that, etc. You WILL not drive it afterwards when done. You will be afraid to leave it in a parking lot and come back to check on it every 2.3 minutes in case someone parked 1 inch too close.

Drive it like you were a teenager and maintain it so it runs great to your tastes.

Ask me how I know. Full blown factory restoration killed the fun out of my Camaro. I just wanted a car that I would have driven back in high school. Now I want a beater to beat on and enjoy, not a pristine showpiece

Use the engine guy that Big Chief uses on Street Outlaws. He runs a Pontiac engine. 450 hp is a piece of cake even on pump gas. Stay away from power adders. Go motor only and build for pump gas 93 octane.
Yep, Butler Performance. Talked to a nice guy about different options. Price starts at around $15,000. Way out of my league.

True words of wisdom. Save your money. Don't restore back to bone stock with all AC Delco parts, factory this, factory markings that, etc. You WILL not drive it afterwards when done. You will be afraid to leave it in a parking lot and come back to check on it every 2.3 minutes in case someone parked 1 inch too close.

Drive it like you were a teenager and maintain it so it runs great to your tastes.

Ask me how I know. Full blown factory restoration killed the fun out of my Camaro. I just wanted a car that I would have driven back in high school. Now I want a beater to beat on and enjoy, not a pristine showpiece
I hear ya, and appreciate the advice. The guy working on it prefers Delco parts, because they fit better, but we are not building a show car. There are a lot of parts going on and subtle changes, that were not factory. :thumb:

So, if I decide to rebuild the 455, who around here is the Pontiac expert?

Think about this, put the original engine up and save it. Go with something like an LS3 and drive the heck out of it not worrying about destruction of the rare 455.You can buy a crate engine fairly reasonable these days.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BP38313CTC1/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BP4002CTC1/10002/-1

Or if you really want a wild ride!

https://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/PS6320CTC/10002/-1

Should I take it to an engine builder and have him completely rebuild it?

Not unless you decided the assemblers were less than competent engine builders, or you think there’s any other issue like taps, knocks, low pressure or water in the oil.
However you spoke about more HP. That only ends with the realization you’re screwing up a nice car, or you run out of cash and start cutting corners.
If mechanically sound then replace oil gaskets and main seal. Or Anything that will be labor intensive after the motor is in.

Back
Top Bottom