• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What have you reloaded today?

Man I tried hitting post right when the Update hit last night, it all looks a little fancier now..

Anyways, I was finally able to catch one of my boolits in some gallon jugs (took 12gals to get 1). It was traveling roughly 2,200fps @ 30ft into 2 of the taller Gallon jugs laid on their side. It was stuck in the plastic on the back halfway through.

Nice mushroom down to the Aluminum gas check :)
Shroom.jpg

Double Expansion!
DoubleSize.jpg

65% Retained Weight
Retained.jpg

This is probably the best group 2.25" 8 of 10 @50yd, 10 shots from a little wobbly tripod after too much caffeine.. Excuses :) But I'm very pleased at these results for the second outting with my very own design. Not one single failure to chamber or feed due to super short COL, Nose Design, or Ogive Tangent.
TwentyPointSix.jpg

Avg. 2,335fps for 1,610ft lbs. would most definitely put a hurting on a Four or Two legged critter.
I'm ultimately hoping to dial it into a 3" 100yd load and use it for insanely cheap plinking or even hunting as the top bullets for 300 HAM'R are non-existent for who knows how long.. I literally have 5-10k Jacketed and All Copper .308 pills I've rounded up that are just not suited for the HAM'R.. Some pretty darn good ones that will most likely be sold off to fund some lead, hi-tek supercoat, and maybe a new firearm. Happy & Safe Reloading to Y`all!

Man I tried hitting post right when the Update hit last night, it all looks a little fancier now..

Anyways, I was finally able to catch one of my boolits in some gallon jugs (took 12gals to get 1). It was traveling roughly 2,200fps @ 30ft into 2 of the taller Gallon jugs laid on their side. It was stuck in the plastic on the back halfway through.

Nice mushroom down to the Aluminum gas check :)
View attachment 3381460
Double Expansion!
View attachment 3381479
65% Retained Weight
View attachment 3381480
This is probably the best group 2.25" 8 of 10 @50yd, 10 shots from a little wobbly tripod after too much caffeine.. Excuses :) But I'm very pleased at these results for the second outting with my very own design. Not one single failure to chamber or feed due to super short COL, Nose Design, or Ogive Tangent.
View attachment 3381482
Avg. 2,335fps for 1,610ft lbs. would most definitely put a hurting on a Four or Two legged critter.
I'm ultimately hoping to dial it into a 3" 100yd load and use it for insanely cheap plinking or even hunting as the top bullets for 300 HAM'R are non-existent for who knows how long.. I literally have 5-10k Jacketed and All Copper .308 pills I've rounded up that are just not suited for the HAM'R.. Some pretty darn good ones that will most likely be sold off to fund some lead, hi-tek supercoat, and maybe a new firearm. Happy & Safe Reloading to Y`all!
Just read up on the round after your post, It looks like what the 300BO should have been. I was never enamored with the BO, but the ballistics, accuracy and terminal effects on the HAM'r look pretty impressive.

Just read up on the round after your post, It looks like what the 300BO should have been. I was never enamored with the BO, but the ballistics, accuracy and terminal effects on the HAM'r look pretty impressive.
Did you realize though, for a few reasons it's a Super-Sonic ONLY Cartridge. The barrel twist rates are 1:13" & 1:15", the latter being on it's way out (Bill Wilson said on THF that they only have a few 18" 1:15" left and then they're done with em` until the panic rush is over).

Also the COL is a very real limiting factor, not just in fitting a 200gr+ projectile in the 1.603" (Max) brass length vs. 1.368" (300blk).. but also making it fit in AR mags (2.255-2.3") but also the way the Throat/Lead is cut (To make it an incredibly accurate cartridge). So many 300blk and .308 pills in general won't get anywhere near optimal overall length before being a single feed situation.

Wilson just recently mentioned that he has 50 or so Ruger Ranch HAM`R barrels that'd he could sell (you'd have to contact him through the Texas Hunting forum).. Other than that there's only been 2 others that have even made barrels thus far for the HAM`R (Tromix and Shaw)

You could potentially rent a reamer and have a 300blk barrel cut for it, but then you're looking at possible higher cost's without the advantages of just buying a WC Barrel.

WC only has Mid-Length gas systems, and Bill stated you couldn't get them to run on H110/W296, N0 11FS, No 9, and a few others.. I didn't believe that bullmess. So I built my carbines around Taccom3G's ULW (ultra light weight) buffer systems and springs.
Using it with 9 coils clipped off of the spring and a Breek Arms adjustable Gas block I set it for perfect ejection and bolt hold open and haven't had a single issue. When running ShootersWorld Blackout or Hodgodon CFE BLK I simply drop in a standard carbine spring and buffer without having to touch the adjustable gas block setting. Also have Ultradyne Pulse's on the muzzles.

All in all I think it is one of the best cartridges offered in a relatively standard AR15 Platform. I was considering a 277 Wolverine, 7.62x40WT (Wilson Tactical, 1:8" can shoot subs), 6.8 SPC/SPC II, 6 & 6.5mm'ers, and Even the Elusive 30 Sabercat https://www.maddogweapons.com/30-sabercat.html But ultimately settled on it due to cheap and plentiful (until this $hit show started) .308 bullets, damn near FREE Brass, and of course the accuracy & power. A huge plus for the 1:13" or 1:15" Twist is, that it's optimal for shooting cast boolits! Running cast boolits in fast twists that aren't of the right size and BHN hardness will cause them to "strip" out on the rifling causing poor/inconsistent spin and even gas cutting/blow-by.. I haven't even touched my beautiful .225 MP-Mold yet because all of my barrels are 1:7".

My only regrets are that I'll probably never buy a 30-30 (unless for the lever action nostalgia) a 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel due to the cost of brass and no real benefit and Sub-sonic options... That is until I get my hands on some Vihtavuori Tin Star N32C & some 185gr Lapua Mega's for 500ft lb SUBS with a gyroscopic stability of 1.5 just to show that it can be done in a 1:13"

So because of Fred, I didn't get to work today..
So there I was gas checking some bullets and I thought to myself "Man it's been over a year since I went W/W Hunting, I should go see what's out there!"
Right around that time my buddy/boss calls me to inform me his whole family has COVID and he was going to get tested.. He thought I should as well, seeing as we spent a long ride together out to lake jackson for some side work together this last weekend..
I found it kinda odd that his family has COVID when all of them HAVE BEEN VACCINATED!

I haven't felt the slightest form of any symptom.. and since I didn't work today I opted to skip getting tested and went off to lift some heavy $hit!
3hrs, 6 stops (Including one at the house to unload due to weight concerns), and $100 later I ended up with
Loaded Subaru.jpg

Full Buckets.jpg

8 Full Buckets! 990.21lbs (W/-16lbs bucket weights) @ 60% Lead recovery = 594.12lbs / $100 (Includes the little gas I used) Works out to 16.8¢ per Pound! Not a bad haul. I figure 20hrs max to Sort & Process.

I brought along a little show and tell baggie and explained how I pecked the brass, processed/converted it, designed the bullet, gather the W/W, Sort/Process, Cast, Check, Coat, and Load.. And how I hope to take some deer with it this year! Every single shop owner was absolutely floored. People down here are so freakin` nice, they all invited me right into their shops with a smile on their face (even though I was wearing my "F*** Gun Control" shirt) and said come back whenever you need more!
S&T.jpg

Bucket List Stuff.

I also made a Loong drive up to Blueridge to get a Savage 110E on Sunday for $340+$31 gas :( to build a SAVAGE WHELEN! 31" X-Caliber 1:12" Spiral Fluted, Cryogenic-ally Treated, Burnt Bronze Cerakoted barrel & Muzzle Brake on order.
The ORYX Chassis arrives Thursday. Barrel Lug, Nut, Elfman Trigger, EGW rail, AICS PMAGS, and other goodies on the way..
I've been attempting to order a Bolt lift kit from PTG with no luck, I just don't feel Nat's is worth $46..
I also just got a tactical bolt in the mail from a trader (I need to leave feedback, saved me $18.85 :)
I've wanted a Whelen for sometime, I just couldn't settle for a CVA.. Thompson Center is currently in Limbo until S&W finds a buyer, so I figured screw it! This will be my first Bolt Gun build, so I decided why not go all out and put it in a Chassis and tune the crap out of it! It came in great condition, with a nice leather sling, a nice "Moose Brand" Bauer Bro's case that is way to small, and a Simmons 510513 Blazer 3-9x50mm Riflescope rotated counter clockwise so windage is on the left hand side..? Also with it being a 50mm objective it literally sits just a hair on the barrel, can't be good for the scope or barrel harmonics :)
Savage 110E.jpg

After running the numbers I should be able to stabilize the Cutting Edge 275gr Maximus's.

Also after looking over 35 Nosler's Cartridge & Chamber Drawings, I believe I should be able to re-chamber for it if/when Nosler really decides to bring it to market. I have an email out to them asking for any/all the info they can provide..
35 Nosler.png

So I guess I've yet to load a single round today, just unloading my wallet on MORE GUN & LEAD to go with it :)

I did however finally finish my 115gr Hi-Shok's last week. I ended up testing a total of 98. 45 of which were the EXACT same, on three different occasions. It's a +P+ load that i'm now carrying. Hence the extra precaution/testing.
HISHOK.jpg

45rds (tested & carrying) @ 1400fps avg. (4.1" bbl) 17fps SD, that will hold a 2" or better group @ 20yd. I'm not sure why I settled on that particular bullet when I have almost every flavor of 9mm HP.. I suppose after watching several gel tests on the Federal 9mm +P+ F9BPLE 115 gr JHP and realizing how explosive I could safely get it.. I stuck with the tried and true, with a little higher speed.

I'm going to load up more 300 HAM'R boolits that have been weight sorted and the COL brought out a little and test this upcoming weekend.. So much for Afghanistan, Happy & Safe reloading y'all!

I have finally jumped back in with some brass prep after weeks of not touching it. I lubed 1050 .300 bo. cases, about 3 blankets worth lol!

Attachments

• AEEDE77C-3DD3-435D-B85F-54B81613FEDA.jpeg
    AEEDE77C-3DD3-435D-B85F-54B81613FEDA.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom