• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What if HR.8 Passes

The thing we should ask anyone to consider who may think this bill is a good idea: "How can it be enforced?"

There is no way to enforce a bill such as this unless there is universal registration, as there's no way to know when a firearm was sold in a private party sale, without registration.

Too many firearms owners think this is a good idea, and some may consider it at its very least, reasonable. Make sure these people know that registration is the natural next step.

i would like to meet such firearm owner so I could punch them in their face.

i would like to meet such firearm owner so I could punch them in their face.

Oh. You are so angry at somebody holding a different opinion on a matter of politics that you want to commit a violent assault against them? Well, thanks for illustrating why they want BOTH red flag laws and a ban on private party direct sales:
so that people like you, once you get on the red flag list, won't be able to easily just buy a gun from a classified ad.

The original question was "I created this thread mainly because I am curious of yall’s thoughts as to how this will affect member of ODT specifically."

In other words, would this site still be relevant if private sales are outlawed?

Sure it would be. This would add a considerable amount of hassle and cost to the process, but private sales aren't 'outlawed', they have a new process to go through.

You would still need sites like this to buy and sell something privately, but if this passes there's going to be additional; costs and steps.

The thing we should ask anyone to consider who may think this bill is a good idea: "How can it be enforced?"

There is no way to enforce a bill such as this unless there is universal registration, as there's no way to know when a firearm was sold in a private party sale, without registration.

Too many firearms owners think this is a good idea, and some may consider it at its very least, reasonable. Make sure these people know that registration is the natural next step.

How is any gun law enforced? It's not until it is.

They know this won't make a difference to criminals, but law abiding people will follow it more often than not. It's not like the ATF will have people staking out Bass Pro parking lots, but if you skip it you are essentially trusting the buyer with your freedom.

If something comes up, say the gun is traced from a crime, you have to trust that the buyer will stick to a story to cover your butt. I can think of a couple of people on ODT I'd trust that far, but only a couple.

Yes, it's a step towards registration, since now they will have a lot more 4473s with names and serial #s when they get to that point. But it's going to be hard to avoid for law abiding folks and those not willing to risk it to save a $50 or $100 fee and an hour or two of their time.

You are the guy that wont make a private sell to anyone that hasn't passed a background check! Of course they knew they could pass this with guys like you already bent over waiting for it. I fiqured this would be fabric softener to your panties.
Your dang right registration is next and you and your kind brought it own.

Oh. You are so angry at somebody holding a different opinion on a matter of politics that you want to commit a violent assault against them? Well, thanks for illustrating why they want BOTH red flag laws and a ban on private party direct sales:
so that people like you, once you get on the red flag list, won't be able to easily just buy a gun from a classified ad.

whatever man...it was a stupid comment. So we are clear and no one sees me as a threat...

i would like to meet such firearm owner so I could figuratively punch them in their face with my superior intellect and argumentative skills.

Or I can just hire a lawyer to rape my bank account, argue on my behalf, and still be in the same place, or worse, when we are done.

You are the guy that wont make a private sell to anyone that hasn't passed a background check! Of course they knew they could pass this with guys like you already bent over waiting for it. I fiqured this would be fabric softener to your panties.
Your dang right registration is next and you and your kind brought it own.

Yeah, I'm the problem. Just because I explained that most people will follow this law I'm somehow responsible for pushing it through. I'm pointing out that there's not a lot of folks I would sell to, not that I wouldn't. Or would. You certainly will never know.

Take a few seconds from posting your rants and look at some of the posts I've put on up how to fight this law. Then go back to Reddit or whatever other troll haunt you came from. We need your kind in this fight like a hole in the head.

Exactly this. It's nothing more than the next logical step to federal registry and then confiscation. Who thinks Congress cares about private transfers? They care about the looming threat of subjects being armed. It's a threat to tyranny and limits what they're comfortable doing.

That's a good question. In GA you simply have to fill out the 4473 if you have a carry license. There's no BG check at all. So if the buyer has a GWL would there be anything to do but fill in the form and file it?

Not following you.

My point is that Vermont is the safest state in the US without ANY state gun laws.
Vermont has banned high cap magazines , so they do have gun laws and they don’t recognize Georgia weapon license. FYI

I will give my answer, since most of the most recent guns I have bought have all been brand new and I prefer to know the history and price and warranty are all better on new guns, then I would prefer to end private gun sales and still be able to buy Semi auto rifles and handguns.
Than the option of having semi auto guns removed/restricted.

If gun owners had to decide..

Would we rather have a change in regulation to HOW we buy a gun?
or
Would we rather have a change in regulation to What guns we are allowed to own?
But we dont have to decide this was decided 200 years ago, what part of shall not be infringed is hard to understand? This is the problem we all try to be reasonable but the left is not they do not compromise, so we need to stop giving ground.

Back
Top Bottom