• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What if I wanted to set up a church emergency food pantry for when the supply line shuts down?

Klif

Air Force Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
A few of us at church have been having a discussion about what would happen if the food supply lines shuts down later in August as some have predicted and the stores had no food. I know that we have quite a few people who are aware and have stocked up and are ready to hunker down and wait it out for 2, 3 or more months. I also know that we have a lot of people who live paycheck to paycheck and don't have the extra money to put anything extra up. These are the people in our church who will need help.

So I approached our elders and suggested that we set up a food supply, at the church, for our church family for when/if things go bad. I was met with enthusiasm but then was tasked to present the idea and a plan to the elder table when they meet on Monday. Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap.

I am well versed on setting up my preps at home and have done the same thing for the last 30 years or so. Setting up something for an unknown number of people, who may not have electricity or running water (think hurricane, EMP blast, hacking of essential services or just general no goods in the pipeline). We have a regular food pantry that anyone can come to and get pre-made boxes of food but there is paperwork and some religious discussion. What I foresee is setting up a storage area with non-perishable foods to be distributed to church family members if that shut down does occur.

Anyone have any good ideas on how best to sell the idea to the elders? Any idea on where to get gross quantities of canned and boxed good at good prices (I'm going to Sam's today to help top off my stores and will be pricing stuff). I don't know if it is best to ask for donations from church members of cash, or is it better to ask them to bring canned goods. Probably cash is better as we would have better control over what we get and not 400 cans of canned pumpkin left over from Thanksgiving.

I checked the usual suspects, CDC, Red Cross, LDS church and didn't come up with ideas that work for us.

Wise words? Forget the whole idea? Step out smartly and march on?

I really feel something is coming soon. It may be the rapture in which case I'll leave a lot of good stuff at home and at the church for the folks that don't go to enjoy while they can. It might be limited items, limited store hours and limited access to cash and banking. It may be World War IV. Something is happening. Many people are feeling it.

Thanks

A few of us at church have been having a discussion about what would happen if the food supply lines shuts down later in August as some have predicted and the stores had no food. I know that we have quite a few people who are aware and have stocked up and are ready to hunker down and wait it out for 2, 3 or more months. I also know that we have a lot of people who live paycheck to paycheck and don't have the extra money to put anything extra up. These are the people in our church who will need help.

So I approached our elders and suggested that we set up a food supply, at the church, for our church family for when/if things go bad. I was met with enthusiasm but then was tasked to present the idea and a plan to the elder table when they meet on Monday. Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap.

I am well versed on setting up my preps at home and have done the same thing for the last 30 years or so. Setting up something for an unknown number of people, who may not have electricity or running water (think hurricane, EMP blast, hacking of essential services or just general no goods in the pipeline). We have a regular food pantry that anyone can come to and get pre-made boxes of food but there is paperwork and some religious discussion. What I foresee is setting up a storage area with non-perishable foods to be distributed to church family members if that shut down does occur.

Anyone have any good ideas on how best to sell the idea to the elders? Any idea on where to get gross quantities of canned and boxed good at good prices (I'm going to Sam's today to help top off my stores and will be pricing stuff). I don't know if it is best to ask for donations from church members of cash, or is it better to ask them to bring canned goods. Probably cash is better as we would have better control over what we get and not 400 cans of canned pumpkin left over from Thanksgiving.

I checked the usual suspects, CDC, Red Cross, LDS church and didn't come up with ideas that work for us.

Wise words? Forget the whole idea? Step out smartly and march on?

I really feel something is coming soon. It may be the rapture in which case I'll leave a lot of good stuff at home and at the church for the folks that don't go to enjoy while they can. It might be limited items, limited store hours and limited access to cash and banking. It may be World War IV. Something is happening. Many people are feeling it.

Thanks
My advice to you and your church is to REALLY think about those who you'll be helping and to do advanced planning. ILLEGALS are notorious for hitting up church pantries, along with any other freebie services. I watched this for 20 years when I worked in Smyrna..... hubby off slinging 2X4s for cash and mama out with the baby carriage hitting up the local Methodist Church Food Pantry and then off to the Publix to cash in them WICS coupons.. Not one dime in taxes paid, nor anything given back... FWIW, they aren't even illegals anymore. Xiden is rolling out the red carpet for them....

I believe the laws of Georgia give the Governor the power to order ANY supplies (food, fuel, vehicles) to be seized and repurposed or re-distributed as the gov't dictates, based on THEIR idea of @the common good."

If you have a big enough cache of foodstuff to make the County or State take notice, and if it's a real emergency, the National Guard or State Defense Force might end up distributing your pantry's food, their way.

OCGA code section 38-3-51
says in a declared emergency
the State has the power...

"(2) To seize, take for temporary use, or condemn property for the protection of the public in accordance with condemnation proceedings as provided by law;

(3) To sell, lend, give, or distribute all or any such property among the inhabitants of the state and to account to the proper agency for any funds received for the property..."

OCGA code section 38-3-51
says in a declared emergency
the State has the power...

"(2) To seize, take for temporary use, or condemn property for the protection of the public in accordance with condemnation proceedings as provided by law;

(3) To sell, lend, give, or distribute all or any such property among the inhabitants of the state and to account to the proper agency for any funds received for the property..."
Sounds like our operation would need to be low key and on a need to know basis. That eliminates donations from the church members and puts the focus on the pocketbooks of the elders. Food for 100 people for about 2 weeks = 4200 meals, which looks like a commitment of about $5500 and $6000. That's doable. They aren't going to be great meals but they will keep a body going.
I think the state will have bigger problems than what we may or may not have and I wouldn't be surprised if the state already has a list of the people who have commented in the survival part of ODT and have them listed as spots to pick up food, guns and ammo if there is a major need.

Thanks for everyone who commented. I'll go prayerfully to the quite place and see what God directs.

I believe the laws of Georgia give the Governor the power to order ANY supplies (food, fuel, vehicles) to be seized and repurposed or re-distributed as the gov't dictates, based on THEIR idea of @the common good."

If you have a big enough cache of foodstuff to make the County or State take notice, and if it's a real emergency, the National Guard or State Defense Force might end up distributing your pantry's food, their way.
And, if it is a real SHTF situation laws and governance fall apart more quickly than their ability to go run and hide....

If trucks stop moving it will be two days or less for shelves to be empty and 2 weeks for a large portion of the population to start dying or just already be dead.
Those that prepped for this should be OK.
Rona just showed us how supply lines will cause this to happen.
Reality is that no one wants to face this fact that trust the Government.
YMMV and posted for entertainment value and not meant to hurt your feelings and the ramblings of an old man who really does not care.

If trucks stop moving it will be two days or less for shelves to be empty and 2 weeks for a large portion of the population to start dying or just already be dead.
Those that prepped for this should be OK.
Rona just showed us how supply lines will cause this to happen.
Reality is that no one wants to face this fact that trust the Government.
YMMV and posted for entertainment value and not meant to hurt your feelings and the ramblings of an old man who really does not care.
'Rona Scandemic showed us that this government. through a complicit MSM, has way too much influence over common sense. Remember back in beginnings of 'Rona? I do......how in the hell does an ooga-booga 'Rona translate to a shortage of toilet paper and paper towels?

Back
Top Bottom