• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What if the SHTF and I'm 12 hours from home????

Had 50 chickens in the freezer for Y2K and a generator installed to keep them frozen.
And we ate every damn one of them 5 dollar chickens that next year, lol.
Barely had a power outage in the last 20 years, but I did get to use the generator a couple of times...
I'd put 50 of those $5 chickens in the freezer right now, if I knew where to find them. :becky:

They in the aisle with the toilet paper...

The problem with a generator when the SHTF and the power goes out, is that people can hear it. They see that your house is the only one with the lights on... Makes it pretty obvious who has a working freezer and food, people will see it and come looking...

And I know that some will have their battle plans drawn up and their property equipped with sniper nests and traps they learned in The Nam... But I highly doubt that most of the people saying that, are really prepared to slaughter their neighbors that are just trying to feed their kids...

I listen to people talk about these things, and its kind of a morbid version of the "what would you do if you won the mega millions" discussion, where you fantasize and plan out all the things you would do, knowing that it's all academic and almost certain to never happen anyway...

It's amusing, and in some ways alarming, listening to people talk about how they have all their plans for the various ways they would kill people who are just trying to survive... You wonder if a few of them aren't walking the line between sanity or insanity, almost wanting such times to come...

The problem with a generator when the SHTF and the power goes out, is that people can hear it. They see that your house is the only one with the lights on... Makes it pretty obvious who has a working freezer and food, people will see it and come looking...

And I know that some will have their battle plans drawn up and their property equipped with sniper nests and traps they learned in The Nam... But I highly doubt that most of the people saying that, are really prepared to slaughter their neighbors that are just trying to feed their kids...

I listen to people talk about these things, and its kind of a morbid version of the "what would you do if you won the mega millions" discussion, where you fantasize and plan out all the things you would do, knowing that it's all academic and almost certain to never happen anyway...

It's amusing, and in some ways alarming, listening to people talk about how they have all their plans for the various ways they would kill people who are just trying to survive... You wonder if a few of them aren't walking the line between sanity or insanity, almost wanting such times to come...

I agree, the whole subject is not the kind of thing that's very healthy to think about.

I agree, the whole subject is not the kind of thing that's very healthy to think about.

No, it really isn't... And the ones that are really into it... Well, let's just say that maybe those folks are the ones that the people pushing for red flag laws, have in mind... LOL

You can usually tell who they are... in these conversations, if you poke fun at the mindset or maybe state the obvious issues with it... they will be the first to puff up and take offense and go on the offense... You don't have to call them out... they tend to do it all by themselves... hehe

I made a Costco run 4 weeks ago and bought a bunch of meat we usually eat and froze it. I've gone to the store twice since for some things, but have been eating like a King on the Costco stuff. Also bought liquor I like and a bunch if gas for the generator. I put the gas in the boat and buy more every week or so. Nothing is wasted!

I made a Costco run 4 weeks ago and bought a bunch of meat we usually eat and froze it. I've gone to the store twice since for some things, but have been eating like a King on the Costco stuff. Also bought liquor I like and a bunch if gas for the generator. I put the gas in the boat and buy more every week or so. Nothing is wasted!

This is the way to do it!

Id also add that it’s smart to buy canned goods. Stuff you will use eventually anyhow.

just check the date. Lot of the cheaper stuff is about to expire soon.

:pound:Yeah probably not healthy. But in the face of adversity some sane men do insane things.

There is truth in that... It never hurts to be prepared, but constantly prepping and preparing for the end of the world... Just seems like an exercise in futility. Most of the people that think they are prepped, might buy themselves a couple weeks of time over the average person, but if society really broke down for any length of time, in the end 99% of them will be just as F'd as everyone else...

Unless you really have a remote place, out in the wilderness, wood for fire, shelter, and you are far enough away from roving groups of hungry people being reduced to savagery... You are up a creek.

If you have a nice well equipped cabin like 15 miles into the woods, fresh stream for water, wood for winter heat... Place to fish and hunt, grow some veggies... You might be fine longer term, although your life expectancy without power, medicine and medical treatment would be greatly reduced...

That's the way to go I think.
If the stuff you have for an emergency is the stuff you eat anyway, nothing goes to waste...

Back
Top Bottom