• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is best security plant that will GROW IN THE SHADE?

Cherokee rose, once established you will fear it. And you cannot get through it. likes sun but will grow in semi shaded areas.

Yes, Gympie is just down the road about an hour from home. That would keep anyone out, very very painful, never been stung, never want to be.
Never even heard of this, per wiki:

Toxicity[edit]

D. moroides fruit
Contact with the leaves or twigs causes the hollow, silica-tipped hairs to penetrate the skin. The hairs cause an extremely painful stinging sensation that can last for days, weeks, or months, or years and the injured area becomes covered with small, red spots joining together to form a red, swollen welt. The sting is infamously agonizing. Ernie Rider, who was slapped in the face and torso with the foliage in 1963, said "For two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn’t work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower. ... There's nothing to rival it; it's ten times worse than anything else."[9] However, the sting does not stop several small marsupial species, including the red-legged pademelon, insects and birds from eating the leaves.[6]

Moroidin, a bicyclic octapeptide containing an unusual C-N linkage between tryptophan and histidine, was first isolated from the leaves and stalks of Dendrocnide moroides, and subsequently shown to be the principal compound responsible for the long duration of the stings.[10]

Plants down under don't screw around, do they?

Poncirus trifoliata,

been used for hedges for hundreds of years. Will stop cows.

Produces a barely edible fruit.

You're neighbors will hate you when it gets out, as it can't be controlled.

Poncirus trifoliata,

been used for hedges for hundreds of years. Will stop cows.

Produces a barely edible fruit.

You're neighbors will hate you when it gets out, as it can't be controlled.
Yep, trifoliate orange, I have a volunteer bush over in my yard and it's not one you'd want to get close to. Tons of hard needle sharp thorns about 2" long..........

Back
Top Bottom