• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is "ethical" disclosure when selling?

araomd

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
The thread on suing pharma companies got me thinking...

What duty does one have to the buyer when selling? How much information is to be given? Is it all Caveat Emptor? Do you forget to mention that while it was LNIB, there were just a couple FTF's?

We know when we are buying from a used car salesman that we may not be getting the whole story, but why do we believe it of other salesmen?

What about when an agent for you has an asymmetry of information? Like when you go to the doctor or hire a builder or a real estate agent? They are supposed to be acting in your best interest, but they often have their own interests to consider.

Why do people treat transactions within a group (ODT?) differently than when transacting with others outside their group (Armslist?). E.g., Jews have different laws for transactions with other Jews versus with Gentiles.

An interesting historical perspective:

Why Each One Should Eat His Own Turtles
https://medium.com/incerto/why-each-one-should-eat-his-own-turtles-revised-8a4be2f11e61

"So to the question voiced by Cicero in the debate between the two ancient stoics , “If a man knowingly offers for sale wine that is spoiling, ought he to tell his customers?” , the world is getting closer to Diogenes position of transparency, not necessarily via regulations as much as thanks to tort laws, one’s ability to sue for harm in the event the seller deceived him or her. Recall that tort laws put some skin in the game back into the seller –which is why they are reviled, hated by corporations. But tort laws have side effects –they should only be used in a nonnaive way, that is, in a way they cannot be gamed. As we will see in the discussion of the visit to the doctor, they will be gamed."

I sold a car on Craigslist and mentioned the items I knew were wrong that were not visible or obvious. Guy comes by - smells the oil and transmission fluid on the dipstick and says he'll take it. I ask if he wants to drive it or check the belts and give it a good inspection. He says nope. He said he was a diesel mechanic and he didn't figure there wasn't anything he couldn't fix. It was an older Buick and was in good shape for the price but I didn't want someone buying it that didn't at least inspect it. Freaked me out.

When I sell a car, gun, house, whatever, I tell the buyer everything I know, good, bad and ugly. Sold a house in 08 and the agent was furious with me because I would tell potential buyers about the water problem.

I had a guy take advantage of me because I was in need and needed cash quickly. I ended up with a 30 carbine in a trade that I shot once and it didnt feed. I sold it to him for about what I had in it. I didnt mention the ftf. I wouldnt do it again but he took me for 400ish because he thought he could. I am not proud of doing it but I'm glad that he got his too.

No price on a clear conscience....when I sell something I tell all I know about that item....I buy vehicles about every 8 years....usually have people waiting in line to buy my old one bc I take care of my stuff and can walk around my truck and tell you where every door ding came from, all maintenance that has been done, and what I am aware of that will need to be done in the future.....

If your word is worthless....what do you really have?

No price on a clear conscience....when I sell something I tell all I know about that item....I buy vehicles about every 8 years....usually have people waiting in line to buy my old one bc I take care of my stuff and can walk around my truck and tell you where every door ding came from, all maintenance that has been done, and what I am aware of that will need to be done in the future....

When you selling your next truck :becky:

Back
Top Bottom