• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is "ethical" disclosure when selling?

As a matter of law, it's perfectly legal and ethical to remain silent about a gun's condition or history and just tell the buyers it is being offered "as is" subject to their inspection, and after purchase it's all theirs, no matter how much or how little they're satisfied with it. No warranty of any kind.

As a matter of morality and common decency, I think all used guns should be considered to have an an implied warranty of fitness for the purpose to which they are intended to be put. In other words, they work. Maybe not 100% of the time with any kind of ammo, but most of the time they function correctly with the most common ammo. If a gun is a total lemon or has serious issues, you have a moral obligation to disclose it. I have, and on some guns that made a HUGE difference, costing me THOUSANDS of dollars to date, over what those guns would have gone for if the buyer had been allowed to assume they all worked correctly.

If I'm going to sell you my problem project gun, I'll let you know it's a problem right from the outset.

Although if I can get it working with a little gunsmithing or replacing a few parts, if I can take it to the range afterward and confirm it's working fine with no issues anymore, I might not disclose the PAST problem it had.
But current and ongoing problems? Yeah, disclose them.

I had a remington model 700 .270 cal. Once that everytime you pushed it off safe to fire,it would go bang.....I traded it off to guy who wanted it.....of course before we e we meet I told him of this problem and said it was unsafe,but he wanted the gun and said he could get it fixed...no way in the world could I have gotten rid of that gun without telling the person of this problem....I treat people the way I want to be treated...

I always tell everything I know. I've sold more junk by telling people up front it's junk. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

I've lost a lot of sales because I'm honest...

I'm also a revenue manager based on being the number 1 in sales for about 10 years now...

I'd rather lose a sale for being honest then to make a sale stealing.
In the long run, the trust built this way makes a lot more sales.

Back
Top Bottom