• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is everyone using on crimped primers pockets???

JeepAdventure247

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
235   0
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of .223 case prep during the pandemic and I feel like there's gotta be a better way than the reamer in my Lyman case prep center. It's slow and eventually hurts my hands.

I bought the Frankford Arsenal swager as an "open box" item from an eBay seller but it's completely busted so that's getting returned. I doubt I'll repurchase this seeing as how it's cracked for someone else. It doesn't appear to be well engineered

What are you guys using??

For volume work , I liked the RCBS swage die
It needed some trimming out of the box, but once that was done, perfect every time.

Now I just use a ball mill in a tap handle. It cuts instead of swaging, but it works fine.

I send mine out to a commercial reloading place and have them sized, de primed, swaged, trimmed to length, and re-primed for about 10 cents a round. Add powder and bulk bullet.

Dillon makes a real fine swaging tool for about $60 or so.

89592317-6350-440F-B383-339B389D5F4F.jpeg Rcbs military crimp removal in a drill.

I send mine out to a commercial reloading place and have them sized, de primed, swaged, trimmed to length, and re-primed for about 10 cents a round. Add powder and bulk bullet.

Dillon makes a real fine swagging tool for about $60so.
The DILLON SWAGER TOOL, is north of that figure now, but one of the best we have ever used and a very good tool to add to your reloading tools to have and own...

I've tried the RCBS set that fits in a press and never was happy with it. Bought the RCBS bench mounted swager (similar to the Dillon) but again, by itself it doesn't seem to work as well as I expected.

I also have the Frankford Arsenal case prep setup, and have put a variety of Lyman and RCBS tools on it (the thread pitch is the same as all the hand tools).

So recently I've been using the RCBS military crimp removal tool on the FA case prep station, and then hiting it with the bench mount. Makes them perfect every time but I'd like something that works easier as well.

FYI I use the go/no go gauges for the primer pocket from Ballistic Advantage to check and set up the tools. Worth their weight in gold.

https://ballistictools.com/store/small-and-large-primer-pocket-gauges

Back
Top Bottom