• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is it worth? Colt Police Positive Special

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
I know it's not worth much, if anything, but I have my first Colt firearm :)

What is approx value of this revolver and age? Serial on the frame and yoke match, 787494. No other numbers that I can find. There is some writing in pencil on the grips, but I can't make it out.

It is missing the ejector rod head, but otherwise in good condition. Numrich is sold out of the rod head, any idea where else to look?

I already know my camera sucks, but it is the best one that I have available at the moment:

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

I see them in the $200-300 in nice shooter condition. I need parts for one as well. Good luck parts are hard to find and often not right. The one I have needs a firing pin. I have bought 3 firing pins so far and none of them were right.

According to this website: http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Serial-Number-Lookup

That serial number on a Colt Police Positive means the gun was made in 1961.

So, being a fairly modern pistol AND not in excellent condition, I'd say there is little collector's value now.
Lots and lots of these guns were made, and many are available, especially in the last 30 years when semi-autos are what everybody wants for shooters, leaving the wheelguns feeling unloved.

$250 would be a good price, I think. Rossi and Taurus and other cheap .38 revolvers sell for more than that, and this old Colt HAS to be better quality than any of those imports.

I see them in the $200-300 in nice shooter condition. I need parts for one as well. Good luck parts are hard to find and often not right. The one I have needs a firing pin. I have bought 3 firing pins so far and none of them were right.

That's a pre 1970 Colt (1961, I believe) and as such it's worth more (at least to a Colt guy) than a late model. $400, complete.

According to this website: http://www.colt.com/Customer-Services/Serial-Number-Lookup

That serial number on a Colt Police Positive means the gun was made in 1961.

So, being a fairly modern pistol AND not in excellent condition, I'd say there is little collector's value now.
Lots and lots of these guns were made, and many are available, especially in the last 30 years when semi-autos are what everybody wants for shooters, leaving the wheelguns feeling unloved.

$250 would be a good price, I think. Rossi and Taurus and other cheap .38 revolvers sell for more than that, and this old Colt HAS to be better quality than any of those imports.

Thank you sirs. I didn't buy it to sell and gave less than the prices that y'all are quoting, so I feel pretty good about the deal. Now to just clean it up and find an ejector rod head.

Back
Top Bottom