• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Is Lever Action Metallic Silhouette?

Frankmako

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
17   0
Reaction score
What Is Lever Action Metallic Silhouette?

Lever Action Metallic Silhouette involves shooting at steel targets shaped like game animals at varying distances, seeking to knock the metal targets over.

It's not just punching holes in round paper targets. The irregular shapes of the targets, the team work and the hit- or -miss style of the competition makes Silhouette shooting a unique experience in shooting sports.

Lever Action Rifle Silhouette is focused toward shooters who enjoy shooting lever action rifles and do not want to make the investment required of other specialized types of shooting competitions. The matches are designed so that a competitor can shoot either or both smallbore or pistol cartridge rifles. Listed below are rules that apply to both smallbore and center-fire rifles.

The smallbore rifle can be any lever action, pump or semi-auto rim-fire rifle (No bolt actions rifles), .22 long rifle ammunition only, hyper velocity ammunition prohibited. Rifle must have a tubular magazine.

The center-fire rifle can be any lever action rifle with a tubular magazine. A rimmed pistol cartridge must be used, i.e. 25-20, 32-30, 38's, 357 magnum, 38-40, 44's, 44-40, 45 Colt, 45 long Colt, 22 magnum, 22 long rifle. Rifle must have a tubular magazine. Any cartridge causing target damage or deemed unsafe may be banned.

Rear sights may be open, receiver, or tang sights, mounted as originally intended. No extended mounts are permitted. The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed, nonmagnified round aperture. A front sight anti-glare tube, which may be no longer than 1 1/8” to include any attachments and no larger than a ¾” outside diameter, may be used. No rifle scopes are allowed.

Course Of Fire
A regular match is a 40-rounds of ammo event, engaging 10 rounds for each animal. Five targets at a time within a set time limit. 30 second ready and 2 minutes to fire five shots.

ONE shot per target. Hit or miss, you move on to the next target. High score is most targets knocked down.
All shooting is done standing, with the firearm unsupported. No special clothing, no slings. (A loose fitting vest is allowed).

Binoculars may be used for spotting. Spotting scopes or stands may not be used. No heavy/thick leather or suede vest. (i.e. hardscrabble vest). Vest are subject to pipe testing at any time. Gloves are allowed for very cold weather only.

What You Need
See above for the types of rifles used. At least 40 rounds of ammunition per each match. (More if you want to practice, too.)
All Firearms should have some sort of chamber flag or open bolt indicator.
All spectators, spotters, and shooters must use eye and ear protection.

Beginners Are Welcome!
This can be a great family sport, and new shooters or first time competitive shooters are always welcome.
We only ask for safe firearm handling skills.

Silhouette Is A TEAM Effort
A Metallic Silhouette team consists of a shooter and a spotter. This is a somewhat unique opportunity for Parents and Grandparents to participate with children and compete in the same sport.
Teams can always use the same gun, simply changing roles as spotter and shooter.
No spotter, no problem. Shoot solo or we will squad you up with another shooter.

DISTANCES
Standard target distances are measured in METERS.
TARGETS:
NRA 1/2 Scale - Chicken Pig Turkey Ram
Smallbore and Pistol Cartridge at Chickens 40 meters, Pigs at 50 meters, Turkeys at 75 meters, and Rams at 100 meters.

ALL MATCHES USE NRA RULES
http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Sil-r/sil-r-book.pdf

The following Georgia clubs have monthly matches. Go to the club web site for more information.
Chatuge Gun Club - Second Saturday. Smallbore and Pistol Cartridge.
Coastal Georgia Gun Club - Third Saturday. Smallbore only.

lever action match this saturday at chatuge gun club. match starts at 11 am. come out and shoot some steel. lots of fun. you can shoot both matches with a 22lr lever action rifle.

This is something I’ve wanted to do for a while. Just don’t have the time for it at the moment. Especially with both those clubs being a 2 hour and 5 hour one way ride from me. Maybe one day I’ll make it out to a match with my Marlin 1894 32-20

Back
Top Bottom