• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is "NEW" worth to you?

Hayata

Wolf Icon
Knock it off with them negative waves Moriarity!
177   0
Reaction score
So all these threads have me thinking.

What's a used firearm worth to you compared to new?

Say you have your eye on a Ruger Precision Rifle.

Online price - $1,150 w/free shipping.

What are you willing to pay for a used one on ODT?

$1,000?

$950?

How about a Glock?

Online price - $546

$500?

$400?

Just curious. Nothing for sale or intending to sell anytime soon but to me, NEW means a premium. I'm willing to pay a premium for something no one other than the factory has fired.

Do you value new over used as a percentage? Like 75%? 50%?

We're all different and some will pay a premium not to have their names on a 4473 but for me, if the used item is just a little less than new, I'm springing for the brand spanking new one.

As for me, I'm thinking used should be around 70-75% of new price if it is a commonly available item.

For the purposes of this discussion, rare, hard to find, limited edition, out of production firearms are not in play. Just the common stuff.

For example - a $350 threaded .22 that you can order online and ship to Cherokee for a free transfer. An ODT'er has one for $300. Me, I'll probably just get the new one. $250 - yeah, definitely getting the used one on ODT.

Do you have a standard answer to the question or is each situation unique with different considerations in your decision making?

To me it's like a car. It left the dealers lot so NIB is not new. That being said I would rather buy it fairly used if I can find it. Hopefully with 500 rounds through it. Then I know how it's going to probably function for the rest of it's life. If there was going to be a problem it will show. So a gun new for 550 to me is 500 max. If there are 2 for sale at 500 i would pick the well used one if the seller has good feedback history. 9mm is 80 plus shipping for 500rnd. That's a savings of $130.00 not to mention the range time. That has it's limits though. I looked at surplus cz compacts. Some can be found for 350. But they are pretty roughed up and come with only 1 mag that is also roughed up. In that case I can get a new one for 540. The 350 dollar one needs 2 $35.00 mags. Plus time and fuel to pick it up. Probably new springs. So 500 plus time invested in the surplus just isn't worth the savings.

There is no simple answer to this question for me. It all depends on what it is.

I generally don't like to buy used precision rifles ...unless I know the person real well. Too many are sold because they just don't group. Used 1911 don't bother me...as long as it is taken care of...used BENELLI ok too.

Used GLOCK? If I can save 50 -75 bucks it works for me.

How about an Auto Ordnance 1927 A1?

These are still in production costing around $1,000 give or take.

If I wanted one (already have one) I'm thinking used price should be $750.

Now that I think about it more, the higher the price of the piece the less dollars seem to "count".

$50 on a $300 item seems like a whole lot more money than $50 on a $1,000 item. It's still 50 bucks but seems to count less on a higher priced item. Hmmm?

its split in two different categories too me. Category A. is do i care if its new: ie guns im going to shoot most anything modern, ar's aks any modern handgun. Couldnt give a **** if these were new so im not paying new prices, simple as that. Category B are older collectable firearms where new condition may acutally greatly effect the value. So i wouldnt give two ****s if a glock is New in box, but im giong to be freaking out over a never fired wwii colt

For example - a $350 threaded .22 that you can order online and ship to Cherokee for a free transfer. An ODT'er has one for $300. Me, I'll probably just get the new one. $250 - yeah, definitely getting the used one on ODT.

I'd take the one for $300 but that's just me. It all depends on how bad I want the gun and how loose I am with my money that day. Attitude in other words. But I'm funny that way sometimes lol.

Back
Top Bottom