• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the best carry cartridge?

I still believe in .45 acp.
But since I no longer go places or do things I shouldn’t, I just have my ‘always’ Keltec P32 in my pocket.
Occasional road trips or transit through a major metro area do still require a 1911 in an Andrews Carjacker rig.
My P32 (1 of 3) stays in the car hidden for the sole reason, if I should leave my home in a rush and forget to arm up, I have a backup . I run 32acp +P HC ammo from buffalo bore. It get stolen I’m not out a whole lot of $$.

My P32 (1 of 3) stays in the car hidden for the sole reason, if I should leave my home in a rush and forget to arm up, I have a backup . I run 32acp +P HC ammo from buffalo bore. It get stolen I’m not out a whole lot of $$.
I do the same except it’s J-Frames for me. I’ve got a cheap pawn shop beater M37 stashed in my truck along with a box of ammo and a couple of speed loaders.

I am a 9mm kinda guy, just about every one has one , if crap gets bad it will be the easiest to pick up of the dead!
Except in times like covid where everyone owns a 9mm and prices go to 70 cents per round lol. Could've been buying relatively cheap 40 the whole time. But the real answer is "why not both?"

Personally, I function test 50 rounds of self defense ammo in any carry gun, and cycle the ammo through every 3-4 months and replace it. I've seen some rough looking primer corrosion after carrying but thankfully I've not had one fail to go off.

This (periodic ammo replacement and inspection) can't be emphasized enough for an edc!

I typically use whatever the gun has been loaded with at my next range session. It cycles the old ammo out, ensure continued reliability and the. I reload it with new defensive ammo that has already proven reliable in my gun.

Also has been said already there is no perfect carry ammo/gun, lots of good options out there. However in today’s world I prefer round count to caliber. Typically, I’d rather have 15 + plus rounds of 9mm than 8 rounds of 45. Capacity, accuracy, shoot ability and conceal-ability are my biggest factors that determine what I carry. I don’t care what it looks like or the name on the side of the gun or if it’s cool or not.

With that said, I typically choose name brand 124 gr JHP in a Glock 19.

Back
Top Bottom